1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Icon Problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wishbear21, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wishbear21

wishbear21 Thread Starter

Got a small problem, it's nothing major, just an annoyance. I have Windows ME.

Recently (as in the past 5 or so months) my desktop icons have been changing. For instance, I have a couple of Adobe files saved on my desktop right now, and a few minutes ago, the icons changed from the .pdf icon to the computer networking icon, and the My Briefcase icon changed to the HTML document icon. I've had the icons change to pictures I've recently viewed, also. I can still use the programs, but the icons don't change back to their defaults until I restart.

I was just wondering if there's a cause for this and what I can do about it. It started shortly after I installed Office XP, which I have since uninstalled but it's still happening. Thanks for any help!

2. 911

There is a folder where Windows keeps a collection of your icons, and sometimes it gets a little garbled. You need to get Windows to load fresh copies into the file.

Right click a blank spot on your desktop., and select 'Properties' from the pop-up menu. Click the Effects tab. Find the box "Use large Icons", and click it (whether or not it is checked) then click apply. Your icons will ripple and change size, but will become the correct ones. You can repeat the process to put the icons back to the original size.

3. wishbear21

wishbear21 Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Hope it works :)

4. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

Hi,

I would suggest that you do a search for the "Shelliconcache" file on you computer and delete it. Then reboot and windows will create a new Shelliconcache file. You may need to configure your computer to show hidden files to see the Shelliconcache file.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice