Desktop Icons appear with question marks on top of them

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pammers15

Desktop Icons appear with Question marks
I tried the suggestions you posted previously in this thread, but my problem is slightly different. Many of my desktop icons appear with question marks on top of the icon itself. The icons still work when you click on them, but they don't look right obviously. Also, I noticed the only icons affected by this are the cd-rom games that have been installed or internet trial icons. Oh, by the way, the computer has the Windows ME operating system. Thanks so much for any help.
Pam

Problems with incorrect icons are often due to corruption of the shelliconcache in c:\windows. If it is deleted Windows will rebuild it on rebooting.

This is a "hidden" file, so to do a Find Files search for it you must first have "show all files" checked in Folder Options>View.

Once you find it, right click on it and delete it. Then reboot.

An alternate method of rebuilding is to restart in safe mode. Then return to normal mode. To start in safe mode you must press and hold the ctrl key immediately on restarting. Then choose safe mode from the boot menu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online