1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop icons disappear

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by beermaker, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. beermaker

beermaker Thread Starter

On Windows XP, for one specific login name, when double clicking on most icons, all of the icons on the desktop disappear for about 2 seconds, then come back, but the associated program/task does not appear. Also going through the Start Menu, these tasks do not appear.

Second problem: very frequently, system will shutdown. The window says "System is shutting down, initiated by NT Authority\system. Message:Windows must now restaart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Service terminated unexpectedly" It will give a 60 second countdown to allow saving of current application.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    For the second question you have the MSBlaster worm.

Go here for the critical update.

For the first one, I don't know. Usually on mine it does that cause the machine is old.

3. beermaker

beermaker Thread Starter

I ran the Stinger software and it did not detect the MSBlaster worm. My computer continues to shut down as described above. Please help!!

4. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

You need this patch for the second problem. Do a search on Googele, a number of places have it for download.

WindowsXP_KB823980_x86_ENU.exe

5. beermaker

beermaker Thread Starter

I downloaded this WindowsXP_KB823980_x86_ENU.exe file and also ran a copy of FixBlast which did not locate the MSBlaster worm on my computer. Any other suggestions?

6. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

I doubt you have the Blaster Worm.

WindowsXP_KB823980_x86_ENU.exe patch prevents RPC from being disabled.

Windows-KB833330-ENU.exe is the Blaster Worm fix:

Blaster Worm Removal Tool for Windows XP and Windows 2000 (KB833330)

A situation has been identified where the Blaster worm could have infected some systems before the application of MS03-026 [KB823980] or MS03-039 [KB824146]. This tool will help remove the Blaster worm from these systems. For systems with MS03-026 [KB823980] or MS03-039 [KB824146] already installed, no further action is needed once this tool is installed. Install this tool to help remove this worm from your PC.

This is the Blaster Worm Fix-it from Symantec: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If a specific login name gives you problems, I'd kill off that profile and recreate it.

8. beermaker

beermaker Thread Starter

Thanks Bold Fortune!
    It appears that the RPC shutdown issue has been resolved after downloading KB833330-ENU.exe. I'm not sure if I'm computer literate enough to recreate my specific login with all the current features if I delete the old one as "johnwill" suggests. I will attempt this if no other suggestions are known. As an aside on the disappearing icon issue, when I login to windows in safe mode, I am able to access the features on the desktop by double-clicking, but I still cannot access them in regular Windows XP. Ideas??

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!