1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

desktop icons error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by peterblewett, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peterblewett

peterblewett Thread Starter

I have an IBM R 51 and i have a few icons on the desktop, when i click an icon it generates a windows error message which doesn't have a number it just says windows cant find the url address which it spells out and it says to go to search because i haven't put the address in correctly and about 2 or 3 seconds later it comes up with the url anyhow in a normal manner. I cant get rid of it. all it does is make a tone and puts the message on the desktop in a gray windows box about 6 inches long by about 2 or so. there is never a number on the message just a red X and the usual cancel x on the top right hand corner and an ok button on the bottom
    If i type the URL into the address box it comes up normally without the error It just doesn't like the desktop icons. even if i put a new icon on the desktop the same thing happens when i use it. it doesn't effect the operation of the computer in any other way. it is just an annoyance. it actually went away for a little while but came back. i would appreciate any help thank you Peter

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Welcome to TSG Peter...I've requested your thread be moved to the appropriate forum! :)

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi peterblewett

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

I have moved your thread to the Windows XP forum. You didn't mention what operating system you are using....?

Are the shortcuts that are giving you trouble, for your browser?
    What browser are you using?
    Do the shortcuts for your programs work ok?

4. peterblewett

the system appears to operate normally except. if i crate a desktop shortcut whilst in ie when i try to use it i get a message telling me that the the shortcut has no supporting program. all the shortcut icons on the task bar work and all the shortcuts on the desktop which were put there during their program installation work ok, but any i create don't
    i uninstalled firefox as i thought it may be the culprit but no go I have ran regcure also to no avail. i would appreciate any help you can give me the operating system is xp professional. peter

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Are you using the:
    File > Send > Shortcut to Desktop
    option in Internet Explorer to create these shortcuts?

Are you using Internet Explorer 6 or 7?
    Is Internet Explorer set as the Default Browser?

6. peterblewett

I amusting ie 7 and it is the default browser, but it was the same when before

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!