Desktop icons "flee" mouse pointer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Froon

I was at my mother's house this afternoon, and she asked me to "fix" her laptop, because she "couldn't get the icons to sit still to click on them."

Indeed, the desktop icons (Win98 se) seem to fly away from the mouse pointer. My instinct is that this is a joke program that someone installed on her computer, but I could not find it or figure it out, even by disabling programs in msconfig and re-booting. She denies that anyone else has had access to her computer to install such a program, and she also denies that she has opened any e-mail attachments from anyone unknown to her (she uses Eudora, because I won't let her use Outlook Express).

I removed her USB no-name mouse, and re-installed her old serial mouse, and same thing. It also happens with the touchpad installed on the system and no external mouse.

Is this a joke program, or is there a virus that could cause this to happen?

Froon

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I checked her computer and her McAfee data files were about 3 years old, so they were no good against trapping this guy.

I downloaded and installed the latest McAfee Viruscan, and sure enough, it detected W32/Magistr.b@MM on her computer. Thank you very much.

-----------------------------

Originally posted by Rockn

Nope....dope aint no joke....IT'S A VIRUS!! Sounds like the W32.Magistr.24876@mm or variant of the same. It get's worse too...go here to read up!!

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.magistr.24876@mm.html

Nasty little bugger!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online