1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

desktop icons keep changing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nam_tak, Oct 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nam_tak

nam_tak Thread Starter

can someone please help me...

I am running XP home and the icons on my desktop keep changing. It looks like it is only happening to the efax files on the desktop. Everytime I go back to the desktop, they have changed to a different icon...

how can i fix this problem?? and should i be worried?

thanks....:)

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Nam_tak
    Welcome to TSG!
    Icons changing could be a sign of the "ShellIconCache" file being to small and you are bumping the top end of it. If so the best way to solve this problem is to increase the size of the cache.
    You can do it two ways.....
    1) Manually using the regedit command from the run line navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer key and add a value and value name as follows:
    "Max Cached Icons"="8000"

or

2) Download the attached txt file but do not open it. Right click it and change the full name from iconcache.txt to iconcache.reg and save. If you have done it correctly the iconcache files icon will change to blue building blocks. Now if you double left click that icon it will initiate the merge and say OK. This will create the lines in the registry required, set the cache to 2048, and give you the ability to change it easily in Folder Options\View tab.

Let us know if that fixes the problem for you.

Dave

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice