1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Icons keep getting deleted.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KevzJD, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KevzJD

KevzJD Thread Starter

Right ok not sure if this is the correct part of the forum to post it but I would imagine so. I work as a First Line Support Incident Handler and basically work in a help desk call centre thing and often get calls where a user has logged onto another w/s and they've lost their icons and I'm not too sure why it happens. I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas why this is happening? Is it their profile getting corrupt on the server or network issues or what? The users icons are on the previous w/s they logged onto but when they go on to any other workstation that they haven't logged onto before its not showing them, its like they've been deleted from their profile on the server, so any ideas?

Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that one of the first things for you to do is to find out what operating system is on the server and what operating system(s) on the workstations. And, the configuration of the network may also be important.

3. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

are the different workstations they are logging using different OSes?

4. KevzJD

KevzJD Thread Starter

I'm not to sure about the OS on the server, I work for a company that deals with HM Revenue & Customs so i would imagine it would be like Server 2003? Also all workstations use the same operating system; Windows XP Professional.

5. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

since i've only had limited experience with servers and domains, I'll leave this to the pros. good luck guys

6. Window

Window

What you might want to do is figure is she had this problem before or more appropriately if roaming profiles is turned on. Without roaming profiles, her desktop would not look the same on every machine she logs onto. Ask your network admin about if roaming profiles are turned on.

Sometimes, roaming profiles is initially turned on by administrators and then turned off since this slows down the machines, etc.

7. KevzJD

KevzJD Thread Starter

Yeah, roaming profiles are turned on because every workstation they go to their icons follow them. It's just sometimes they will log on to a different workstation or same workstation as yesterday and find out that they have lost them and its puzzling me to think why it happens! im not experience with servers (yet haha) so i have no idea!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice