1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

desktop icons missing.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jdemnyan1116, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdemnyan1116

jdemnyan1116 Thread Starter

My grandsons computer his Aunt gave him has an icon problem. When you shut off the computer, then turn it back on later, the desktop icons and taskbar, start button all do not show up. You usually have to either do the on/off 3 or 4 times using a forced shutoff or do the f8 last best configured mode. No other mode works just the last best configuration. I do not have the computer with me as it will be an ongoing process over time. It is a dell computer (sorry I do not have that much info yet) and is not new. Any ideas to start with would be greatly appreciated. Did all security scans, SAS, MBAM, Spybot, Windows Security Suite, etc. Nothing shows up. Cleaned all temp files, removed unwanted items, checked off all useless items on Startup menu thinking that might be the problem, too much on startup but to no avail. Still no Icons unless you play with it. Checked drivers and Hardware manager, nothing. Any ideas to start with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Just a thought to get things started. Might be a good idea to boot to last know good configuration with all the icons and task bar, etc. present and make a restore point. If you have a back up drive you could back up documents and settings at this time, too..

Next time this happens, it might be a good idea to go to Control Panel if possible and check the "Taskbar and Start Menu" settings. See if they are normal. If they are this still could be software or hardware related, but it's a clue. If you don't have access to Control Panel, you could try adding RocketDock, set it to load on boot, and add a tile for control panel. It could be your emegency task bar/start menu short term. You could also add the desktop folder there too.

Again these procedures might help some and provide some clues as to what's going on...

Sounds like the Windows boot may be corrupted somehow...

3. jdemnyan1116

Am thinking about doing a complete removal and reinstall if nothing works. Sure hope the error is not on the disk to install it. Will try other ideas first cause reinstall is the last thing I want to do. Will let you know next time I get my grandsons computer here.

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK, please do update if you remember. Good luck...

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What exactly is this Windows Security Suite? Are you referring to Microsoft Security Essentials?

6. jdemnyan1116

Yes, Microsoft Security Essentials.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!