1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Icons un-transparent??

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bowler, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowler

Bowler Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I run Win XP home version and I was recently fiddling about on my computer and suddenly my lovely tranparent desktop icons reverted back to my old Win98 type. I don't know what I did, but now I can't find anyway to turn them back.

Has anyone any ideas? :eek:

2. m-dash

m-dash

Try this (works in XP Pro...) go to the Control Panel. Double-click on the System icon. In the System Properties box, click on the Advanced tab. Then, in the Performance area of this tab, choose Settings. The very last setting option in the list, I believe, is "show drop shadows under icon text labels". If you choose this option, hopefully your transparent icon backgrounds will reappear.

Hope this helps!

3. Bowler

Bowler Thread Starter

Thanks m-dash, your proposed solution worked beautifully.

Bowler

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!