1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Icons Won't Change....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Holly3278, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi. I am currently on a Windows 2000 Professional Machine and we had this problem on it a while back. What happened is the computer had been set to the Desktop Theme called Nature. Well, I changed it to a different Desktop theme and some of the icons did not change like they were supposed to. The following Icons did not change:

My Computer
    My Network Places
    Recycle Bin

Included in this post is a screenshot of what the desktop looks like right now. I had to edit the screenshot so it would meet the attatchment size limitations of this forum. The icons mentioned are enclosed in a red box that I drew around them. Please help!

2. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I posted this message about the desktop icons about a week ago and I still don't have a reply. Please help me. I know someone out there has an answer. This problem is really annoying so if you could please help me asap, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

4. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion but a clean install is not an option here. I can go in an edit code and stuff but I cannot do a format on this computer. The reason? This computer belongs to the school. Its a computer used for workstudy though so I can do maintenance on it when needed. Thanks.

5. leem

leem

Desktop Properties\Desktop>Customize Desktop button should offer you the ability to change icons for those items.

6. Jtoast

Jtoast

wasn't suggesting you do a clean install to fix this....just pointing out that the problem you have is usually caused by an upgrade installation.

7. Holly3278

Holly3278 Thread Starter

Hi Leem. I just wanted to tell you that I did just get my problem fixed. I did not right click the desktop and go to properties that way as you suggested but what I did was I went into the Control Panel and selected Desktop Themes. I went in there, selected a new desktop theme and then I removed the checkmark from background because we want to keep that background and I left all of the other things checked including Icons (these checkboxes was for things that I wanted to change). Well, I hit apply and I checked the desktop and it changed. It was actually quite unexpected though because I had tried this very same thing when the problem first arose but it did nothing. But anyway, its working now. Computers are such a pain! lol.... Thanks a lot!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!