Desktop Icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KingTony911

ok i have windows XP on my laptop and one day i started up my computer and i just had icons there just looked like letter files... not the "MY computer, Recycle bin, my documents, and My Network Places" and i dont know how do get them back? i dont know what i changed... some one please help me... thanks.
King Tony

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Download TweakUI for XP, install it, and select Repair Icons.

KingTony911

i did and it didnt work... but you know what i notice is that the other users on my laptop have there icons showing up the right way... so im just going to make a new user and transfer all the files...
King Tony
ps thanks

Try this first. Go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Profile Name\Local Settings\Application Data

Delete the iconcache for your identity. It's name is:
IconCache.db

Log off and back on. Is the problem gone?

Try it again. Boot to Safe Mode and delete the file again if it exists. Then boot back into Windows. Sometimes a boot or two in the meantime helps.

I don't know what it is with Windows XP and icons. When I change a file association, it's like pulling teeth to get the icons to change. I have to go in and do it myself all the time. I also use the flush cache trick. Using Display Properties>Appearance>Advanced

I change the size of the icons to reset.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts