1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Icons

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Marcie, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marcie

Marcie Thread Starter

Having problems with programs opening up when I click on the desktop icons. When I click on any icon on the desktop to open that programs, it takes forever ,at least a minute or so to go to that certain program. I can't figure out what is causing this problem. I don't know where to got to try and fix this.
    It take forever just to empty the recycle bin, or open up my computer, my documents and other programs.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Marcie:

What speed is the processor and how much RAM is installed?

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - Startup(tab). How many items are listed there and how many of them are checked?

How long has it been since you deleted the buildup of temp files, emptied the recycle Bin, and defragged the hard drive?

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

4. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I know I ask this question a lot in cases like this but, Marcie, does your computer boot slow as well?

If so, Does your hard drive light flash in a repetitive motion during the startup?

Does your start button respond slowly as well.

Does your windows start sound break-up or the cursor move in a jerky motion when moved quickly across the screen?

I's gotsta know!

- Castleheart ;)

5. john1

john1

why,
    what does that mean ?

6. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

You tell me!:D

Actually First John, I have battled a similar condition on a couple of computers and several of us have been trying to zero in on the problem. It is not spyware or bug related (and ...by the way Marcie, this may not be your problem at all) and has the symptoms I listed above. A data guru I know attributes it to the CPU repetitively accessing the hard drive (hence the repetitive hit on the light) and that process thereby drastically slowing resonse, but this is his speculative analysis.

I am the unfortunate owner of one of the three PCs with this problem, though mine is cured almost invariably with a cold boot. A warm boot however will bring on the condition 1 out of 4 times. Yet the computer is EXCELLENT and fast in every other way.

If I see the Hard Drive light clocking or if I ever drag the mouse on start up and it is skipping - I know that if I let the boot up continue, the start button will be slow - the program start up from icons will be slow and other things. so I jump on the first chance to shutdown and go again.

So I am asking more out of curiosity and to see if I can learn that little something that will zero in on the problem.

- Castleheart ;)

7. Marcie

Marcie Thread Starter

Okay Guys, now that you have confused me big time, let me tell you my story. No I do not have a virus, nor is it spyware causing this problem. I defrag and scandisk and empty recycle bin on a regular basics. I have an 800mhz with a 376mb Ram.
    It just started doing this about a month ago, and the only desktop icon that opens right away is MSN Explorer, all of the other ones take forever.. Some of my software in my programs list are slow to open also.
    I find that my computer is a little slow to boot up, but I did the msconfig a long time ago, so it is not alot of things booting up.
    I will have to check about the light flashing thing, I don't know about that yet.
    I tried everything I could think of doing today to try and fix this problem, but I had no luck. This is very frustrating for me..HELP!!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice