desktop icons

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joe8959

Is there a way to remove the "My Computer" and "Recycle Bin" icons from a Win98 desktop?

It is not recommended to remove My Computer. If you use the Active desktop you can go to display properties>effect>and choose to hide icons when desktop is viewed as web page.

To remove the recycle bin go to start>run and type regedit. Press enter.
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

Right click on
{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

and choose rename.
rename it to
-{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E Close the registry. Go to the desktop and press F5 tp refresh. The recycle bin will be gone.

joe8959

Thanks for the help. I know that it's not recommended that the "My Computer" icon be removed, but this is for the PC that my young kids use to play games, etc. They keep messing with the "MC" icon, and you can imagine the havoc this causes. Is there a way to remove it?

If you don't want to merely hide it, you could disable the desktop by using a restriction. That would mean you would have no access to the right click menu either on the desktop. But you can access all that elsewhere.
To do that go to the Registry and Navigate to:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Create a new DWORD in the right pane. Name it
NoDesktop, just as you see it here. Modify it and assign a value of 1.

Reboot to take effect. To access your desktop folders, go to start>run and type desktop. To reverse this restriction, remove the NoDesktop Dword.
I also have a way for you to remove the effects tab so that the kids won't be able to change the Icons back to show My computer. (If you choose to create the blank Icon and use it.)

If you find this file
plustab.dll
and rename it Oldplustab.dll, the effects tab in Display Properties will go away.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online