1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop.ini in Start folder and everywhere

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by unnipk, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. unnipk

unnipk Thread Starter

HELP!! Two desktop.ini files have appeared in the start menu and also in 'my documents' folder and sub-folders. I am unable to unhide or hide folders from the tools menu.
    Using Windows XP Proffessional, Service Pack 2.

2. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

Delete the two desktop.ini files. These files save your view settings etc. Once you delete them, when you next set your settings, they should come back as hidden files and won't show.

3. unnipk

unnipk Thread Starter

Dear Mr.Dan,
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I was not well.
    Meanwhile the file (desktop.ini) had appeared in sub-folders (entertainment, communication etc.) in the accessories folder. But after deleting them and resetting my view settings, they have gone. Thank you for the advice.

unnipk
    24-7-2007

4. Dan Penny

Dan Penny

You're welcome.

These files will show up in any folder which you (or the system defaults) change view settings for. If explorer (or My computer) has settings to show all files and not hide system files then you will see them.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/581772