1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop items have missing files & can't download anything - help!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bluey31, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluey31

bluey31 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I have vista home premium on a vaio vgn-nr38e, pentium dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, Mobile Intel (R) 965 Express Chipset family.

Laptop has been a bit funny since the HD was replaced a couple of weeks ago. The guy who replaced it added office 03 & reinstalled some other applications. The trouble all started this morning when MS office 2003 kept trying to configure, couldn't download anything & trying to start any programme just triggered the configuration box & announcement of sku011 missing file error. Tried system restore, etc. nothing worked. Eventually managed to get around that by updating to the office 07 from disk that the laptop came with.

Nearly all my desktop items won't work now although I can download files, despite specifying the location the file should be saved in, it isn't there when I look, hence why I can't give a hijack this log. :( But they won't uninstall due to missing components so I can reinstall either.

Opera won't start, it says there is a module 9 error but I've checked the fix Opere give & the .lng file name is spot on.

When I try to repair on uninstall:

-With ad-aware I get an "ad-aware installation package has stopped working" notice but the words are not aligned properly.

-With AVG I get:

Installer initialization failed due to following error:
    Error: @AvgErrorCode_0x0253 %FILE% = "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8"
    @AvgErrorCode_0x0020

-Firefox has a "installation not complete due to missing files" error message

SpyBot S&D did uninstall but I only had to uninstall because despite updating the threats, it kept saying I hadn't.

I have googled all the error messages & tried the advised fixes to no avail, given that I can't download anything, I'm not sure where to go from here.
    :confused::confused::confused:

Many thanks for any help. (y)

2. bluey31

bluey31 Thread Starter

I think I got it covered. Downloaded the installations on another computer & transfered them to disc then installed them on the laptop from there. A few installations & removals & several virus checks and a quick spin of the Vista recovery disc & things seems to be working well again...fingers crossed!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice