1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop just goes black

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Babo2, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Babo2

Babo2 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavilion 3000, about 3 years old running XP home edition. A few days ago I had been using it most of the day, and when I left for al little while and came back the screen was black. No matter what key I pressed, I could not get the screen back on again. I could hear what sounded like the fan, a little louder than usual, but not the whirring of the hard drive. I rebooted it several times but nothing would happen. I hooked the monitor to another computer, and it worked fine, so I know it was not the monitor. Finally after rebooting it about 6 times with nothing but a black screen, it finally came up incredibly briefly with the blue screen. I quickly pressed the F10 key, and it started to do a system --------. It asked me if I wanted to continue or do a restore to a certain date, and I chose to restore. It worked fine for about 3 hours, and then all of the sudden just went black again with the louder fan sound. I did the same process again, and it worked fine for about 1 day, and then out of the blue it went down again. I am really not very good with understanding computers, just using them, so if anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

2. Babo2

Babo2 Thread Starter

bump

3. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hi Babo2. I take it that you are using a laptop if so it is probably that the wires from the computer to the screen may have been strained and will require a mechanical fix or hopefully it could just be a build up of static on the motherboard we'll try that first. Disconnect any power cables from the computer then take out the battery then hold down the start button for about 15 to 20 seconds that will disperse the static. If it's mechanical then it's a trip to the computer shop.

4. Babo2

Babo2 Thread Starter

Hello! Thank you so very much for responding. I haven't had any other responses at all. No, it isn't a laptop. I can no longer even get it to do anything. When I press the power button, all that happens is that it sounds like the fan comes on, but nothing else. The screen is totally black, without a cursor, or any print at all. So far I have unplugged everything. Opened the CPU, and dusted everything out with compressed air. Plugged everything back in(printer, mouse, keyboard,dsl modem). I have only the bare necessities as far as peripherals.

5. rka0

rka0 Banned

6. Babo2

Babo2 Thread Starter

Unfortunately this is not it. The POST that they speak of never occurs. If I'm lucky, then after every fourth or fifth time I turn the power on, I get that blue screen, if I hit the f10 button really quickly before the screen goes off, it will take me to a system recovery screen, after which I go through the motions until it lets me choose a system restore, and once I do that everything is perfectly fine for a few hours, but it does not always work to the point that I can get the blue screen to come up.

7. dez_666

dez_666

From what you are saying I will assume you are not getting /anything/ from your BIOS, which isnt good..
    So this leads me to the question, are you getting anything from you BIOS? I'd rather not assume the problem is that bad :|

8. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hi Babo2. If you get a window of opportunity can you initiate a complete reformatting of your system.

9. rka0

rka0 Banned

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!