Desktop keeps flipping upside down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tweety daughter

Hi there. For some reason my desktop flips whenever I turn off or restart my computer. I can flip it back by going to graphics properties, but the next time the problem is back. this just started today. also, when a page loads instead of just "appearing" it loads in strips. The whole system is slow. Google is terrible, and when i type in a search term the Google start page loads and reloads while I try to type.
Help!

It might be a trojan messing with you ;P
Tried to scan your computer with an updated virus software?

You can scan online for free or just download Panda cloud antivirus =)
But remember only to have ONE antivirus prog at a time.

Panda Online Scan (free)

tweety daughter

Phantom010,
I am technologically challenged and have no idea what a video adapter driver is. Can this suddenly "go bad" with no warning? How to I a) find it and b) update it?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Click Start > Run > type devmgmt.msc

This will take you to the Device Manager.

Expand (click the + sign) Display adapters.

In there, you'll have your computer's display adapter model.

Is there any yellow or red symbol in front of it?

In any case, double-click it and select the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver...

Choose Install the software automatically (Recommended).

Windows will look for a more recent driver for your display adapter.

Video Adapter

tweety daughter

I run a virus scan each night at midnight with free AVG. It says there are no viruses. I checked out the video adapter driver as per your instructions. there were no red or yellow marks, but I ran through your instructions. I got an error message that said Intel(R) Graphics controller error occurred during installation. Access is denied.

The desktop is staying right side up, but every page loads very slowly and sometimes stops loading partway, jumps then reloads.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
In the same location, can you try uninstalling, and reinstalling it with the CD for your Intel(R) Graphics?

tweety daughter

I uninstalled it, but I am not sure how to reinstall it. What CD would that be? I have the CD that came with the computer that says Drivers and Utilities.Is it on there, and if so, how do i find it? If that is not where it is, what CD would it be on? I know these are stupid questions but I warned you i am technologically challenged!

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
It should be that CD indeed (Drivers and Utilities). It's hard for me to tell you what to look for without having the CD at hand. Look for your Intel(R) Graphics driver.

tweety daughter

No luck. I tried to reinstall the Intel(R) graphics controller from the disk, but got the error message and it couldn't install. So I went to the Dell website to upgrade the video card. I downloaded the latest version, then tried to install it. I got the message Set up will exit because an unknown error has occurred. I went back to the Device Manager to see if anything had miraculously installed. the intel graphics is still gone (I uninstalled it) and now there is a Video controller (VGA compatible) under display adapters. It has a yellow icon over it with an exclamation mark in it.The page loading problem is gone, but now the icons are huge and I cannot change the resolution. when I try to slide the tab to make it larger, it won't move and the only option I have for colour is Medium (16 bit). I went to Display Properties, Settings, Monitor and it has one choice, Default monitor.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts