1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop lettering

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JamesE, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesE

JamesE Thread Starter

I'm being a bit thick today. I have just finished building a new PC to replace (previously reported) her indoors' bust computer.

I have forgotten how to produce a little rectangular coloured background behind the captions of the icons of the desktop. It's somewhere, and you can change the colour but I'm b*****ed if I can find it. Senility creeping in - please assist!

2. Augie65

Augie65

If you don't want the icon text transparent: Start> Run> type: sysdm.cpl and hit OK.
    Advanced tab> click Settings button under Performance> Visual Effect tab, uncheck the box: Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop. Apply and OK your way out.
    Then right click the Desktop> Properties> Desktop tab> click the down arrow under Color: and select the color you want.

3. JamesE

JamesE Thread Starter

Sir, thank you for that. Why could I not find this via normal routes? Surely there must be a simpler way? I've done it before but this time I was stuck. Thank you.

4. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver

Right click My Computer...go to Performance> Visual Effect tab, uncheck the box: Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop. Apply and OK your way out.

5. JamesE

JamesE Thread Starter

Many thanks, I've also discovered: Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings etc....... I was struggling because I was convinced it came under "Display > Desktop". Totally off track!! Thanks to all who put me back on.

6. LitomoSilver

LitomoSilver

Not a problem. :)

7. Augie65

Augie65

Yes, there are many ways to the properties windows. I just always give the run command
    because some may not have the icons shown on the Desktop. At least my way, when giving
    instructions, I know what dialog box they will see first.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!