Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desktop machine stopped functioning on LAN.

640 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  TheVrolok 
#1 ·
Booted up my desktop (Vista x64) machine this morning and things seemed fine. Loaded WoW, logged onto server, got a UI error, exited WoW. Started WoW again, went to log in, machine hung. Hard rebooted, booted up, now I my networking will not work. Disabling windows firewall has no effect, my LAN connects but does not properly identify the network. It used to identify my WRT54G just fine. I also have a wireless PCI card in my desktop, I enabled it and sent up my wireless network (WPA2/non broadcasting) and I can see the network but windows complains that it can't connect. I'm typing this on my laptop which is working as normal which leads me to believe it's not my router. I can't even log into my router via my desktop machine. For reference, I have DHCP disabled.

The two computers are:
Frenzy (Desktop)
Asus P5N32-E Sli Plus Hybrid onboard LAN

Rumble (Laptop)

Both with matching appropriate DNS servers.

I'm going to try reinstalling the desktop's nforce networking drivers to see where that goes but I have little hope for it. Any further suggestions would be great. Apparently I lied, there are no drivers on Asus' site for Vista / LAN. Most likely because it was auto-detected by vista just fine. Now I really have no idea what to do.

Little additional info. There are 2 ethernet ports on my motherboard that can be used in tandem; I'm not using that functionality but neither port works when connected to my router. I usually just keep the port I'm not using disabled. Oh, and obviously using the Vista "diagnose" yields nothing that helps.

Event log information when I disable/enable my ethernet port:
Nothing in Apps, Sec, or Setup. However, I get a few things in System.
I'm getting mostly informational stuff that appears fine, User-PnP finishes successful, Tcpip reports normal operation. I am getting an error, however.

8003 - Browser.
So you don't have to look it up: The master browser has received a server announcement
from the computer RUMBLE that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Thing is this; I always thought it was related to DHCP problems and incorrect subnets/ip configs. As you can see above, my home network consists of 2 computers and it's incredibly basic. There are no subnet/IP conflicts. So I'm not sure what's going on.

Disabling the Computer Browser service obviously removes the error from popping up in the log, but does nothing to help get my system back on the network. I'm stuck now. Nothing to reinstall, it seems like reinstalling Windows is my only choice, and I REALLY don't want to do that.

I enabled the DHCP server on my router and set both of my computers to obtain; laptop works perfectly. Desktop will not pick up an IP on the wired LAN or the wireless PCI card. Can anyone think of anything else I can do? It's really boiling down to Windows reinstall.

Lastly, I just connected my laptop to my router via ethernet port/cable after disabling wireless and it works fine. I can now confirm that it's my desktop machine and not the router.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.