Solved desktop mode wont enable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zorgan

I thought i'd post a video here to show what's happening, any time I try to load the desktop it crashes out and shows wallpaper only, then right click and the start tiles show again.

if you look at the top right the third time I do it you can see the deskop icons flash up just for a moment, i've also ran malwarebytes on this system and it's clean.

bobs-here

Bob
try running a system file check
open admin command prompt
type
sfc /scannow

I would follow this method. CTL+ALT+DEL then click file and new task. then type explorer.exe and press ok

zorgan

it's the OS the laptop came with theon, it's designed for windows 10 !!

hp 14-ac108na

it's the OS the laptop came with theon, it's designed for windows 10 !!

hp 14-ac108na
That changes eveything, Zorgan.

I would backup my stuff as said earlier and either run a repair, or recovery from inside windows, if its possible.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
After running the deployment image servicing command if it reports all in order and still the desktop will not load with icons etc
We need to check a couple of issues
Are you familiar with the use of regedit to check a registry subkey that controls the desktop via explorer and shell
Do not worry if you are not, I can guide you through the procedure

zorgan

okay performed a

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

command, still the issue resides

Macboatmaster thank you, yes I'm familiar with CMD console commands to a certain degree, I've also ran a chkdsk /r on the drive

I can also navigate the registry to a certain degree also and have experience doing regedits in the past

bobs-here

Bob
okay performed a
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
command, still the issue resides
(y)ok, its likely the steps of checking the registry subkey, will have the desire effect and narrow things down

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
go regedit - right click run as admin
HKLM Software that is local machine
software - see first screenshot please
Untitled1.png
navigate to this sub key
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell
see second screenshot please
do not make any changes
see screenshot what does your show please
Untitled.png

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts