1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop-Monitor stuck in power save mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sportzriter13, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sportzriter13

sportzriter13 Thread Starter

Hey again.
    I went to do something on my desktop (play sims as a stress-buster, I think). The tower was on, screen off, so I jiggled the mouse to wake my screen up...and got nothing. I tickled the keyboard. Nope...nothing. Pressed the settings button and got a message telling me to do...what I've already done.
    Turned Monitor off...then on.
    Rebooted the computer
    Screamed at it...checked cords
    Swore like a sailor...switched monitors (including power cord)
    Gave it the evil eye...Swapped out VGA cords.
    Thought about using HDMI to plug into TV....realized that desktop does not have HDMI and the VGA cord is not long enough.
    Walked away to avoid turning into the Hulk. :mad:

I am thinking that the graphics card has given its last. I have eliminated the VGA cable and power supply to monitor as suspects. The cords were secure and fully plugged in. A desk light that shares the power strip showed no problems.

Located specs on HP's website, realized that I could have dual monitors (melyogi/mom is not convinced that this is entirely necessary...anyway)
    -
    Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 (Supports DirectX® 10)
    *Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
    Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 (Supports DirectX® 10)
    Supports concurrent use of dual displays connected to onboard DVI-D and VGA connectors.
    Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards as independent graphics adapters.*
    -

Before I go haul off and get a card...
    are there any other things I should be considering? What should I do?
    What PCIe cards are compatible with an HP a6750f or where could I find this information? College student here, so price is a factor. Would like to avoid upping my power supply (300 watts) if possible.
    Can I add HDMI capability and is it a good/safe idea?
    Is it worth making this change, or is this a sign that I ought to look for a new model (I would like to not have win 8...at least as a primary).

So glad I went with a portable HD for my primary storage...resetting permissions is a pain, but once that's done I was OK. As okay as I can be the day before a major ed-major test....:(

Any help is appreciated.

2. shadow6224

shadow6224

So you tried the onboard graphics and that didn't work? It seems that the model number you specified, HP a6750f, does NOT come with a graphics card. This was the site where I found your specs. If you just want the graphics to work, I would just buy a super low-end graphics card.
    If you want a graphics card for gaming, then I would suggest anything by nVidia. However, I don't think it would be worth it to purchase a gaming graphics card for your current computer.
    I can give you links for different graphics cards if you'd like.

3. sportzriter13

I am not a huge gamer, outside of Sims (3, medieval and sim city). Admittedly, I have avoided purchasing skyrim because I know I'll be hooked. At least my boyfriend can say he'd like a turn on his xbox, and I'll quit for a while.

*Facepalm*....meant to say onboard graphics. I was thinking about getting a card (and trying to figure out if I could cannibalize one from a non-working computer here).
    Today's just been one of those days.

I'll take a look at the links. Thank you so much.

4. shadow6224

shadow6224

I had one comp with on-board graphics acting strange and just bought a cheap graphics card to fix it. I bought one similar to this and it works perfectly. Not too expensive but it gets the job done.
    If you do want to higher graphics, your PSU would definitely have to be upgraded.

5. Netghost56

Netghost56

If the ONBOARD graphics are the issue, then it's the mobo. I would tread lightly- your mobo could be on the way out.

I would get a cheapy GFX but one with alot of RAM- The Sims and other RTS games tend to use alot of RAM after you've created a pretty large world (RTS gamer here). One game I used to have, Startopia, would become crash-prone after I'd built about 1/3 of the station (approx 60 cumulative man-hours of playing). The larger the world or the more sprites (characters or objects) the more the load on the card. So you don't neccesarily need alot of GPU power (i'm sure I'll get burned for writing that ;) ) but you'll notice more performance with more RAM.

6. shadow6224

shadow6224

Mhm, good point. The MB might not necessarily die, but that is a possibility. The above mentioned GPU does have 1GB of vRAM (video RAM) so that's decent enough at a low price.

7. replay

replay

i am not exactly sure it is your onboard graphics here, it could easily be that the cheap power supply that hp uses has given up!
    swapping a good power supply would be the 1st thing i would try

8. sportzriter13

I've had this computer since June 2009, so if it goes, I can't say it was unexpected.
    At that point...if it is the mobo that is going...how easy is it to get a new one? I ask because the main hard drive (SSD) is new as of last year, when my old one failed. It has Win 7. I really love 7 and am still quite skeptical of 8 (did try it at one point, while still in the open-to-the-public beta). Really I'm trying to avoid having to go out and buy a whole new unit.
    I can't look at links right this minute, but once this horrible teacher test is behind me, I will (perhaps with a cold one in hand).

Thanks for the help and advice.

Once I look at all of this and get the desktop up and running, I'll mark it solved.

9. Netghost56

Netghost56

HP computers are tough to replace, parts wise- as well as Dells.

You need to find out what your mobo model # is. You can either open the case and look at the board, or download CPU-Z from CPUID. Then you can check out ebay for a direct replacement. Remember that you will need to salvage the CPU and heatsink from the board.

Best guess is you have a variation of the AMD 780G chipset. MSI makes some good, cheap boards.

10. Netghost56

Netghost56

Interesting. I looked up a possible replacement for the MS-7548 on ebay and found this disclaimer for a 'repair' service...

Does your PC turn on but get no video? Or your video card doesn't work but the onboard video does?

Your motherboard can be repaired in 3 to 5 days and have a 90 day warranty from the date you receive it. If for whatever reason the motherboard cannot be repaired, the repair charges will be refunded.

You do not have to send the motherboard with the CPU, heatsink or memory.
    If you want to include the CPU or memory that is fine, if not that is also fine.

Please note:
    This eBay ad is for the motherboard repair service. I do not sell these motherboards or have exchange boards. If you purchase this eBay item, you agree to ship the defective motherboard to the address below and the same will be motherboard returned.

This service includes:

· Quick turnaround time – typically 2 to 3 days !!!
    · Cleaning of the CPU heatsink fan
    · System test and stress test
    · 90 day warranty
    · Return shipping

Sounds like a bait and switch going on. HP must have some simple solution to this issue...

11. sportzriter13

Of course it wasn't going to be easy. *headdesk*. Nothing that happens at a bad time has a straightforward fix. :(
    Ah well, time to put last summer's hardware class to use.
    I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get a graphics card first, and see if that gets it running before classes start up.
    In the meantime, I will also look at options for replacing MOBO and possible power supply vs buying a new machine. This time around, the hard drive is fine, so I could move it over and perhaps go with a win 7/win 8 dual boot.

The repair service on ebay definitely looks sketchy, thanks for the head's up.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1105352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice