Desktop Not Booting, Clicking, Not recognizing SSD and GPU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

StoryThreader

Hello, and thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

A friend, who had a computer repair shop, built my computer for me, after I collected all the parts in 2018. Worked fine for years, with the exception of GPU going bad. GPU was in warranty and replaced with upgraded version. Still, 2 years of working fine until one day, the computer would not boot.

After the start button was pressed you could hear a clicking (PSU relay, I believe). After pressing the CMOS button on the board, the system would start. Sometimes Windows would load, sometimes I was forced to go to BIOS settings. The error given, before pressing F1, was that fan speeds were off. I dealt with this for months. Once I had the OS up, I would simply log off every evening instead of turning off computer. Sometimes I would forget and turn the computer off, then go through the process again. I also realized the BIOS did not recognize the GPU. No GPUs to select in BIOS settings.

Then recently, the pre-BIOS settings page would say that I have 3 keyboards (I have 1), 8 drives (4 at most with external), and 3 hubs. And reads "After setting up Intel Optane Memory or RAID configuration was built, SATA mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issue. If OS was previously installed as AHCI, set SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS". I had not changed anything concerning memory or RAID.

I can now start OS by going into BIOS settings, F8 to open boot order and click on the drive I know has OS. It will crash a time or two or start right up, but eventually it works. BUT, OS does not recognize 1T SSD.

I use three monitors. Once OS is running, GPU works fine. I made zero changes to my system before this issue began.

I'm leaning towards a bad MB.

Problems:
Computer won't boot normally.
BIOS does not recognize the GPU, but OS does recognize the GPU.
1T SSD is not recognized by OS, but is recognized in BIOS settings.
New PSU still clicks.
Must press CMOS button to get to BIOS Settings.

Actions Taken:
Replaced the PSU with same as original.
Flashed BIOS with the most recent version.
Taken 1T SSD out, ran OS, then reinstalled.
Started with only 1 memory card. And tried several different cards in one slot.
Loosened screws on Cooler over the CPU.
Formatted 500mb SSD with OS and reinstalled OS. OS is up to date.

Board: ASUS Prime X299-DELUXE
Processor: Intel Core i9-7900X X-Series
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition
Memory: 8x CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
C Drive: SAMSUNG (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface
Storage: SAMSUNG (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Internal Hard Drive 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch
GPU: (MSI Duke) NVDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-0850-X1, 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W
3 Monitors
Case:
BGW02 Silent Base 800 Window / 3 fans.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 17134, Installed 20180410203414.000000-480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 85 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 20
Total Physical RAM: 64 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (355 GB Free); D: 3726 GB (3232 GB Free); J: 1862 GB (304 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X299-DELUXE, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 180833929100157
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Again, thanks for any help you can offer.

Bryan

Last edited:
The TSG tool was run on an ASUS N501VW laptop.
Run it on the desktop.

TSG Tool says Win 10 1803, which is 3 years out of date.
Upgrade to, or better clean install, Win 10 21H1 or 21H2.

21H2 is here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
21H1 and older ISOs are here:
https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

Keep one drive attached and remove all others when clean installing Windows.

What, if any, Anti-Virus are you running with Windows Defender disabled?

Still seems short on memory: you say 8 x 16GB=128GB, TSG tool says 64GB...

For the missing M.2:
Have you looked for it in Disk Management? If not initialized / formatted or if there is a problem with it's partition(s), it will not show elsewhere,

Is it in M2_2, the vertical slot? The U.2 connector shares bandwidth with M2_2. There is a BIOS setting, under Advanced Menu -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> M2_2 and U.2 Switch Function. Ensure that is set to Auto and not to U.2.

For the clicking PSU:
Is it a constant and continuous noise? How loud is it?

Check if fan of PSU is cause of clicking, and ensure clicking is coming from PSU not somewhere else.
Remove PSU from system and use paperclip test or hook to m/b outside of case to isolate PSU, if necessary.

You say you have tried two of same make/model PSU, try a different make/model PSU.

Remove all overclocking.

If still clicking, strip PC to bare minimums (CPU+Heatsink, M/B, 1 RAM stick, 1 or no drive, no integrated graphics on i9-7900X so must use GPU + monitor/keyboard/mouse) and test.

If still clicking, M/B or GPU problem, possibly. Try a different GPU.

Re-add other parts one at a time, and test each time for clicking.

If it's not a broken fan, something may be causing your PSU to spike. You are risking all of your parts running them with a clicking PSU.

StoryThreader

Thank you for your response.

An update:

Keep one drive attached and remove all others when clean installing Windows.
I used your link for the OS update. Though when I first did new install, there were 2 other drives. After I try a few of your suggestions, if I still have problems, I do another clean install with only one drive.

What, if any, Anti-Virus are you running with Windows Defender disabled?
Norton 360

Still seems short on memory: you say 8 x 16GB=128GB, TSG tool says 64GB...
Sorry, it is 8x8GB. 64GB

For the missing M.2:
Have you looked for it in Disk Management? If not initialized / formatted or if there is a problem with it's partition(s), it will not show elsewhere,
I found the 1TB missing drive in Device Manager, but still missing in Explorer. It would not populate. (see pics) I had zero problem with this SSD before the new OS install.
20211207_201807.jpg
20211207_201929.jpg

Is it in M2_2, the vertical slot? The U.2 connector shares bandwidth with M2_2. There is a BIOS setting, under Advanced Menu -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> M2_2 and U.2 Switch Function. Ensure that is set to Auto and not to U.2.
M2_2 and U.2 Switch Function always has been on AUTO.

The 500MB C: Drive is in M2_1 and M2_2 (Vertical) is empty after removing 1TB SSD.

For the clicking PSU:
Is it a constant and continuous noise? How loud is it?
Clicking is very light and repeats every ~9.5 seconds. Only clicks when I try to start machine and nothing else happens. Once started, the clicking stops. Sounds like a relay.

Check if fan of PSU is cause of clicking, and ensure clicking is coming from PSU not somewhere else.
Remove PSU from system and use paperclip test or hook to m/b outside of case to isolate PSU, if necessary.
Not PSU fan.

You say you have tried two of same make/model PSU, try a different make/model PSU.
Have not tried this yet.

Remove all overclocking.
BIOS is set to Default.

If still clicking, strip PC to bare minimums (CPU+Heatsink, M/B, 1 RAM stick, 1 or no drive, no integrated graphics on i9-7900X so must use GPU + monitor/keyboard/mouse) and test.
Did this and issue was not resolved. Though I realize I did not removed fans.

If still clicking, M/B or GPU problem, possibly. Try a different GPU.
I removed GPU (No GPU installed). Pressed start button and clicking came back.

Re-add other parts one at a time, and test each time for clicking.
Nothing left to remove but cooling fans, which are all operating normally.

If it's not a broken fan, something may be causing your PSU to spike. You are risking all of your parts running them with a clicking PSU. No clicking when computer is fully operational.

Oddly now, last 8 times I attempted to start computer, I press CLR CMOS button. The computer attempts startup for about 30 seconds, then CODE 22 and a crash. Press CLR CMOS again and I am taken to the pre BIOS setting page stating that I now have ZERO drives and 3 keyboards.

12/08/21 9am
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19044, Installed 20211208082348.000000-480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7900X CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 85 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 20
Total Physical RAM: 64 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Hard Drives: C: 465 GB (358 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X299-DELUXE, ver Rev 1.xx, s/n 180833929100157
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Last edited:
Did you mean Code 22 literally or figuratively? Code 22 error in Windows means a device is disabled. AFAIK.

Did it blue screen on the crash? Is there a dump file in C:\Windows\Minidump ? A dump file might tell what device is causing a problem.

Are you configured for minidumps?
Go to Settings -> System -> About, click Advanced System Settings on the right. Click Settings button for Startup & Recovery. Under System Failure, uncheck Automatically Restart, set Write Debugging Info to Small Memory Dump. Small Dump Directory will be %SystemRoot%\Minidump, click OK.

Next time it blue screens, zip up all dmp files in C:\Windows\Minidump, post the zip somewhere where I can access it (Google Drive/OneDrive/etc), post a link to it here, and I will try to debug it.

What BIOS version are you on? Go into BIOS, version should be shown at top left under 'Information' in EZ mode (if manual is accurate). You said you flashed it to latest, just want to verify it is version 3601.

Does the keyboard work while in the BIOS? Test a hotkey like F7 to switch from EZ Mode to Advanced Mode
If it doesn't, that would explain why you can't get into BIOS normally, if keyboard is not working during post, the Del or F2 keypress would not be detected. Is keyboard USB? Try it in a USB 2.0 slot, try it in a different slot, or try a different keyboard.

For the M.2 drive:
You have to look for it in Disk Management. Right click on Start Menu -> Select Disk Management.
Post screenshots of that. Was there ever anything on the drive? If it does not have a partition that gets assigned a drive letter, it will not show in Explorer.

----

Test boot with the liquid cooler and all fans unplugged (from power and/or the m/b). Don't run it for long, and it will be fine. Only want to see if one of them are the cause of the clicking. Remove all USB devices, too.

StoryThreader

Thank you for the quick response.

Just a quick note as I'm moving files from the 4GB HDD to exterior drive.

Did you mean Code 22 literally or figuratively? Code 22 error in Windows means a device is disabled. AFAIK.

Literal CODE 22 on the QDode LED.

Did it blue screen on the crash? Is there a dump file in C:\Windows\Minidump ? A dump file might tell what device is causing a problem.
It crashes (black screen through entire event) before I even get to a Pre-BIOS settings window.

Are you configured for minidumps? No
Go to Settings -> System -> About, click Advanced System Settings on the right. Click Settings button for Startup & Recovery. Under System Failure, uncheck Automatically Restart, set Write Debugging Info to Small Memory Dump. Small Dump Directory will be %SystemRoot%\Minidump, click OK.
Done

What BIOS version are you on? Go into BIOS, version should be shown at top left under 'Information' in EZ mode (if manual is accurate). You said you flashed it to latest, just want to verify it is version 3601.
Yes. 3601 Flashed 2 days ago.

Does the keyboard work while in the BIOS?
USB keyboard does work in BIOS. I hit F8 for Boot Order.

For the M.2 drive:
You have to look for it in Disk Management. Right click on Start Menu -> Select Disk Management.
Post screenshots of that. Was there ever anything on the drive? If it does not have a partition that gets assigned a drive letter, it will not show in Explorer.
The 2 photos show the Device Manager window for the device on the left. The drive is 3/4 full and I've been using it for years. The problem began when I did reinstall of OS.

I just moved the 500MB C: Drive to M2_2. Nothing has changed.

After moving files, I'm tearing it down to as bare as possible.

Thanks again!

StoryThreader

Device Manager is not Disk Management.
Concerning the 1TB SSD. See Disk Management page in pic. Disk 2.

Also, there was one crash this morning but I cannot find %SystemRoot%\Minidump on the PC.

20211209_071738.jpg
Thanks again!

https://www.easeus.com/partition-ma...s-foreign-dynamic-disk-and-how-to-fix-it.html

Right click on Disk 2 in lower portion of Disk Manager window. Does the 'Import Foreign Disk' option appear there. If so, click it, as it should not destroy data. If it's not there, you will have to convert to a Basic Disk, and that will destroy data.

%SystemRoot% = C:\Windows by default. Assuming that is the case for you, look for C:\Windows\Minidump.

But it won't be there until Windows crashes, and then only after certain types of crashes (where it has time to write the dump). The Qcode you were getting is not from Windows. QCode 22 is not defined in the Qcode list in your manual. There is a 55 (22 upside down maybe?) = Memory Not Installed. Maybe remove all but 1 RAM stick and test.

Last edited:

StoryThreader

https://www.easeus.com/partition-ma...s-foreign-dynamic-disk-and-how-to-fix-it.html

Right click on Disk 2 in lower portion of Disk Manager window. Does the 'Import Foreign Disk' option appear there. If so, click it, as it should not destroy data. If it's not there, you will have to convert to a Basic Disk, and that will destroy data.

%SystemRoot% = C:\Windows by default. Assuming that is the case for you, look for C:\Windows\Minidump.

But it won't be there until Windows crashes, and then only after certain types of crashes (where it has time to write the dump). The Qcode you were getting is not from Windows. QCode 22 is not defined in the Qcode list in your manual. There is a 55 (22 upside down maybe?) = Memory Not Installed. Maybe remove all but 1 RAM stick and test.
👍YAY! 1TB SSD issue resolved! Imported. Thanks!

There is no "C:\Windows\Minidump" in the directory. I did check and I believe settings are as you suggested. See pic. There may not be a log, because the computer is not crashing while Windows is running. It's crashing as it loads BIOS.

"Error 22" Here is a video of my entire startup - crash 22 - startup to BIOS page. Audio up!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZBIU95d487SlwGpOU4KSooDV1oChLWUS/view?usp=sharing

Screenshot (2).png

StoryThreader

Interesting... Watching the video, between the q code 22 and crash, there is a 06 q code. I discovered there is a D6 q code which leads to a GPU issue.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1043948#4

I picked up a very simple GPU from a friend. Removed all fans, drives, usb connections. Still the exact same problem. I can still boot the same way as before with CLR CMOS ➡Q Code D6➡CRASH➡CLR CMOS➡BIOS➡F8➡BOOT C DRIVE➡WINDOWS LOADS.

Then I replaced friend's GPU with my original CPU and I have the exact problem and load sequence.

I can only guess the MB has gone bad. So I'm replacing it with a PRIME 299-A II. $450 for a MB is a lot cheaper than a new GPU, at the moment...

Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks!

StoryThreader

Thank you @DRPC . With your help, I was able to narrow issues down to the MB. I picked up a new ASUS Prime 299-X AII. Everything is working fine now!

Thanks again for your time and energy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online