1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop not communicating with network/internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jaca44, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaca44

jaca44 Thread Starter

Details
    1. setup AMD 64 3700+ , 1 Gb RAM, Epox EP9NDA3J with nVidia, Radeon 9600 XT, Windows XP Network 2 -3 destops + laptop through Linksys Router. Broadband cable internet mden via router.

2. Problem.

Computer not accessing network or internet. ipconfig shows ip.
    connected direct to moden - no go
    - other computers accessing net fine.

Tried alsobooting with backup HD by switching boot order. Also no access on that bootup either.

Additional small things. The chipset drivers updated by my son a week ago. Since then had to reinstall drivers for some plug and play devices (Track IR, Saitek X45). My CFS3 game freezing periodically (does that anyway!!)
    I reinstalled the mobo drivers from Epox with no change.

Other things such as burning DVDs working. Some problems with Outlook but think to do with conflicts with Symantec Talkworks Pro

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, IPCONFIG shows IP is not very illuminating.

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

3. jaca44

jaca44 Thread Starter

by DOS window do you mean command prompt?

4. DBClark

DBClark

Yes...that is what he meant!

Can be very helpful in troubleshooting network problems.

5. jaca44

jaca44 Thread Starter

"Windows IP configuration" is all it says and it says the same if I just do ">IPCONFIG" at the command prompt. Yesterday I got the IP addy but not now.

6. DBClark

DBClark

You didn't complete the command. Refer to instructions in post #2 by JohnWill

7. jaca44

jaca44 Thread Starter

Yes I did but obviously I can't copy and paste here since the computer won't connect to the network and my laptop which I am using now. Ihave repeated exactly the instructions and the text file says the same.

8. DBClark

DBClark

Have you tried turning everything off...including the modem and router? Try that and then turn everything back on in this order. Modem, wait until the lights stabalize, then the router, wait a couple minutes, then turn the computer on and see if that resolves any issues.

9. jaca44

jaca44 Thread Starter

Well I did but also note the other comps onthe net inc this one now are still working. Howver wiling to try again altho my suspicions ins that it's a ethernetcard/mobo or xp software problem.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I presume you have a floppy or a CD-RW drive, right? There's more than one way to skin a cat. :) If you want us to provide quality help, you need to provide quality information.

11. jaca44

jaca44 Thread Starter

Well I am willing to do that but I have told you all that the text fill says; namely
    "Windows IP configuration"

I have run what you said twice and get the same text file message. If you still think this relevant I will burn it.

12. jaca44

jaca44 Thread Starter

Further I inc jpg and text file

Attached Files:

13. jaca44

jaca44 Thread Starter

further from system information

Attached Files:

14. DBClark

DBClark

Your getting close....

Notice the spaces in the command line. Example ipconfig(space)/all(space)>c:\result.txt

15. jaca44

jaca44 Thread Starter

Well spent hours yesterday with my son looking at and renewing the ipconfig and the winsock settings, etc. The only IP ady we would get ends in .49.32 which is wrong. I rolled back the ethernet drivers, reinstalled, deleted, reinstalled with same result.
    Now the ? is, given I have XP installed on 2 seperate drives, one an earlier pre-trouble ghost of the C drive, and I still have the same problem on both, do I have a hardware or software problem? My son blames XP and says format and reinstall. I am thinking the mobo since the problem on both drives.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437799

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice