1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop not functioning correctly

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MattD00, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattD00

MattD00 Thread Starter

I logged into my Windows 7 pc yesterdy and I found that all my icons were not being displayed on the desktop and also I can not high-light the desktop with the lest mouse button. I can still get the right click menu. First thing I did was reboot but the problem is still there so I ended the process explorer.exe and started it as a new task. The problem was still there. I did a full virus,spyware and malware scan. I also ran hijack this but didn't find anything unusual. I have no idea what is causing the problem. If i naviate to the desktop in windows file manager i can see all my desktop icons and everything looks fine.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right click on the Desktop - View - make sure "Show desktop icons" is selected.

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Another point. Have you recently added another user? Could be, if you have, that the desktop needs setting up again - re Terry's suggestion??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice