1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop not seeing the web, but wireless router is

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by JamieNJ, Dec 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

Happy holidays everyone.

I have a cable modem, and a setup as follows: the cable from the cable company attaches to the cable modem; a cable runs from there to a wireless router (NetGear), and a cable from there runs to the NIC on the desktop.

My laptop's wireless device successfully picks up the wireless signal from the router, so no probem there. However, on my desktop, I cannot get internet access. Right now, I am getting the "page cannot be displayed" screen when I try to launch the IE appication.

I called the cable company, and they had me try various things, none of which worked. They had me go to

Contrl Panel-Network, select the TCP/IP -> 3Com Etherlink 10/1000 PCI-Properties, and ensure the folllowing was selected:
    IP Address tab: Obtain an IP addresss automatically is selected
    WINS Configuration: Use DHCP for WINS Resolution is selected

I also powered off and powered back on the Wireless router, the Cable Modem, and the desktop, and checked the connection between the wireless router and the desktop.

On the back of the desktop, the NIC card has one orange light glowing, but nothing else. Does that mean it only has power, but is not receiving data?

Is it possible the NIC card had died?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

what operating system and a few details about your system help resolve your problems.

is the card seen in device manager/network adapters as the 3com card?

did you setup the router for wired and wireless?

my isp allows me to have a lan but won't help fix it.

3. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

The o/s is Windows 98.

Device Manager/Network adapters shows the card as 3Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI for Complete PC Management...

When I click on Properties, the General tab says "This device is working properly." as the Device Status. In the Power Management tab, I noticed that the box was checked that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." I unchecked this, to see if it had any impact.

When I set up the wireless router, I do not remember if I explicitly set it up for Wired and Wireless, but whatever I did, it worked fine for both for severa months.

One thing I forgot to mention in my initial posting is that my desktop freezes occasionally, and my daughter has gotten into the habit of turning off the whole power strip to reboot, which had the effect of turning off the cable modem, and the router, as well as the PC. The support guy at the ISP said that could have temporarily messed things up.

Jamie

4. jamiemnj

jamiemnj

Is it possible to determine whether this is an IE problem, or that my desktop is not seeing the Internet at all?

Thanks

5. mtenen

mtenen

Hi Jamie
    I too am having the same problem, without the nic. Router to wireless. I installed fire fox still cannot open the page. I think it may have something to do with AOL's configuration.
    Good Luck!Mike

6. dugq

dugq

Hi,

Routers really aren't my thing, but a good way to find out where the problem lies may be to run some tests.
    Go to start, run and type in

command

click ok
    Now type in

ipconfig /all

press enter, note what information it tells you and then post back with it. After that type in

ping www.yahoo.com

Press enter and write down what you see
    then try

ping 216.109.118.75

Also trying the ping command but with the DNS numbers you got from the ipconfig. Then post back with the information you have

7. JamieNJ

JamieNJ Thread Starter

The ipconfig /all gives me information in the DOS box, but it scrolls off the screen. How do you stop it doing that?

In any case, the information it shows for the "1 Ethernet adapter :" section is (have to type this in manually):

Description: 3Com Etherlink PCI
    Physical Address: 00-04-76-D4-9D-E0
    DHCP Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DHCP Server: 192.168.0.1
    Primary WINS Server: <blank>
    Secondary WINS Server: <blank>
    Lease Obtained: 12 27 04 9:52:52 AM
    Lease Expires: 12 30 04 9:52:52 AM

Typing in "ping www.yahoo.com" gives me back
    "Unknown host www.yahoo.com". Same message for trying to ping www.aol.com, by the way

Typing in "ping 216.109.118.75" gives me back several lines:

Pinging 216.109.118.75 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.109.118.75: bytes=32 time =101ms TTL =54
    Reply from 216.109.118.75: bytes=32 time =81ms TTL =54
    Reply from 216.109.118.75: bytes=32 time =54ms TTL =54
    Reply from 216.109.118.75: bytes=32 time =42ms TTL =54

Ping statistics for 216.109.118.75:
    Packets: Sent =4, Received =4, Lost =0
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 42ms, Maximum = 101ms, Average = 69ms

When I do "ping 192.68.0.1", I get a similar response, albeit with faster times (i.e., 1ms, <10ms) and TTL=64

This is good news, right? My desktop IS seeing the net? I need some good news to hang my hat on here, my kids are getting impatient. :)

8. dugq

dugq

Yep, good news, I think, sounds like a winsock problem. Two fixes, either download and run this utility

http://www.bu.edu/pcsc/internetaccess/winsock2fix.html

Or, for the complete fix, run through the procedure described here

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/psc/img/walkthroughs/windows_9x_nt/dialers/dun_1.3/5289.psc.html

If you do this, please uninstall any software firewalls you have on the pc first. You will also have to make sure you either have the windows 98 disc (same edition as the 98 on the PC) or you have the cab files on the PC (do a search for *.cab , if you find a series of files named win98_21.cab, win98_22.cab and so on, then you can proceed ok)

Once its working pleease go here

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

download hijck this and post a log, these problems are often caused by spyware

9. jamiemnj

jamiemnj

Thanks, I will try the steps described in the Earthlink support document first. I still have the W98 disk that came with the PC, so I presume I have the .cab files on there (if not on the c drive itself), but I will make sure first.

10. dugq

dugq

If you have the windows disc then you should be fine

11. jamiemnj

jamiemnj

Thanks Dugg. Your solution worked! I.e., following the steps in the Earthlink step by step.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/311498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice