1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Desktop PC Shuts down after Fan starts going full-speed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Haldur, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Haldur

Haldur Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 63 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 12185 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1849 GB (677 GB Free); D: 11 GB (1 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 2B3A
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

This happened for the first time yesterday. I restarted the PC and everything was seemingly fine. This morning, I booted up my PC, and the fan started going full-speed and became very loud, even before it was fully booted up.

On a hunch, I opened up the PC to check for dust clogging any vents, but I don't see any dust at all, other than on the outside of a little bit on the outside of the vents (which I did wipe off). It seems to be the CPU Fan.
    I've been running the PC now with the cover off, and it has not shut down yet, though the fan keeps going at full speed (which is unusual). At least I was able to log in here and post this this time, before everything shuts down. The PC is running a bit slow (slow enough that it's a bit clumsy trying to type in this entry).

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I'm a bit vision-impaired, and have a little hand tremor, so my days of too much working on the inside of PCs is over with.

2. phillpower2

phillpower2

Hello Haldur,

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply and upload a couple of screenshots for us, see info below;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

[​IMG]

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

So that we have a comparison to Speedfan, download, run and grab a screenshot of HWMonitor (free).

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the Upload a File tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

3. Haldur

Haldur Thread Starter

Power Supply info: HP brand, the info is hard to decipher, so I took a picture, and maybe you can figure it out:

Attached Files:

4. phillpower2

phillpower2

We are not getting all the voltage readings that we need but we can see enough too be able to advise you that your hardware is overheating and most likely caused by an underpowered, low quality PSU.

Can I ask who fitted a GTX 970 into this system, whoever did should have also upgraded the PSU to a minimum of a Bronze efficiency rated quality brand 500W PSU, that is the very minimum that is recommended by the video card manufacturer, the present PSU states a maximum power output of 420W and I wouldn`t mind betting that if it was properly tested that it wouldn't even produce 400W.

Best suggestion would be to swap in a known good quality brand of 500W PSU for testing purposes, you may find this easier to have done by a local tech or tech store.

5. Haldur

Haldur Thread Starter

So my PC is just over 3 years and up until now, I haven't had any hardware problems. It came as-is straight from HP. Would you advise getting a new PC now instead, seeing as how it's 3 years old (which at least used to be the standard time to replace). Or does it make more economic sense to go ahead with what you suggest? I just want to double-check before I put money into a PC that I just may end up replacing anyway.

/edit ack -- that attached file was meant to be posted earlier. I'm not going to bother to delete it.

Attached Files:

6. phillpower2

phillpower2

You have been lucky then as there is no way that the present PSU should have been used with a GTX 970.

I would not replace the whole computer, ring around a couple of local techs or tech stores and explain the CPU overheating and that you need your system testing with good quality brand of 500W PSU, some will do it free of charge or for a small fee in the hope that they are able to make a sale, in this instance a new PSU and possibly a new CPU cooling fan, please be sure to get a couple of different prices then post them here, someone can then advise if any of the prices are reasonable or not.

Good brands of PSU include Antec, Corsair, EVGA and Seasonic and keep in mind that any PSU must be a minimum of Bronze efficiency rated, I just hope that none of your hardware has already been damaged.

7. Haldur

Haldur Thread Starter

Thanks. There is one mom and pop tech store that WAS in my area that I think is trustworthy, but they moved to New Jersey (it's been a very long time since I last used them -- hopefully they didn't move too far away, or have gone out of business since I last used them). Otherwise, I'll have to try someone new. Anyway, I'll keep you updated.

8. phillpower2

phillpower2

We will be here and any questions along the way let us know.

9. lynx1021

lynx1021

Do you have a liquid cooling system on the CPU? what is the HP model # of your desktop? That CPU is rated at 140Watts so it needs a pretty good cooler. May need to put an aftermarket cooler. Make sure the heat sink screws are snug. HP has been known to penny pinch and use minimum products. If it has a stock cooler it should be the TS13A like here. https://www.hardwarebbq.com/intel-stock-cooler-hedt-cpu/

10. Haldur

Haldur Thread Starter

The problem WAS the cooling system. I ended up using a place I've used before -- http://www.pcandpcs.com/. They custom-built a computer for me several years ago, one that never had any problems (I ended up outgrowing it and I gave it away to my nephew). I can't recall the details, but I do recall that it was more bang for my buck than any name-brand computers or even any big-name builders. Plus it was a really good experience having a few back-and-forth personal conversations about the build before we settled on a design. I don't know why exactly I didn't use them for this PC -- I think probably it was because HP was having a sale and I didn't really want to spend the time I did designing the previous PC (plus my knowledge of PCs was becoming more and more dated).

Anyway, they picked up my PC at my apartment about a half hour after I called them (I now live very close to the NY/NJ border) and got back to me that very evening, letting me know that the problem was definitely the cooling system, and parts and all, they would replace it for $200.00. I mentioned that it was a 3-year-old computer and asked him if he thought I would be better off replacing the PC. And he told me that because of the high-end video card, and everything else in the PC looked good, that he thought it was definitely worth repairing. Because of my previous experience, I trusted them, and let them go ahead with the repairs. They picked it up on Monday, and delivered it back to me on Wednesday morning (today). And I now have my old cooling system as a paperweight on my desk.

BTW, no, it was not a liquid cooling system.

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

Just out of curiosity, did they put an aftermarket heat sink/fan? The original factory cooler is a screw down type (older PC's had plastic push pins that could come loose) so unless one of the screws got stripped it would be hard for it to fail. I work on my own stuff so $200 is a little pricey for me. Glad you got it fixed

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice