1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Desktop PC Won't Switch To External Speaker/Output Jack

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michaeltee, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. michaeltee

michaeltee Thread Starter

Kind of a strange problem that has surfaced for no apparent reason. The PC in question is an older HP (originally W7x64) desktopPC (slim workgroup style) that was upgraded to W10x64 last year. It has an internal speaker. So normally I could plug in a standard 1/8" cable with R/L RCA outputs and the audio would switch (as expected) from the internal speaker to the external output. Now, it's like the green speaker jack doesn't "see" that I've connected an external cable. Rather, the internal speaker continues to run as if no cable has been connected. Same situation if I plug headphones into the appropriate jack. I have also confirmed that the audio receiver RCA input jacks (where I'm sending the signal) doen't detect an input source. So apparently the PC is not sending any audio signals to the green audio output jack.

I've experimented with changing default devices, disabling and enabling, and also uninstalling the driver and re-detecting it through device manager. Everything looks normal so I'm truly perplexed as to why the audio output won't switch.

Anyone have some ideas on what else I can try?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model number(M/N) and product number(P/N) and serial number(S/N) on your HP desktop?

What "Version" and "OS Build" number of Windows 10 64-bit is it running?
    (Type winver in the search box, then press the Enter key)

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. michaeltee

Model: HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF PC, Version 1709-0516299-431

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. 123Zbyniek

123Zbyniek

Check settings in Realtek HD Audio Manager.
    What version of audio driver you have?
    upload_2018-6-9_23-40-19.png

upload_2018-6-9_23-41-42.png
    All audio drivers are installed?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The HP Compaq 8000 Elite(all case sizes) has an integrated Realtek ALC261 High Definition Audio sound device.

The most current Windows 10 64-bit driver for it appears to be 6.0.1.8447

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  7. michaeltee

Resolved now. Not exactly sure why. I installed the executable version of Realtek driver 6.0.1.8447 which unfortunately didn't work well. I subsequently uninstalled it, rebooted, and re-detected the previously installed driver and now it's working. Thanks to all for your help :)

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    6.0.1.8447 is working fine for me in 4 of my Windows 10 64-bit computers which have Realtek high definition audio.
    Anyway, I'm glad to hear you resolved your sound issue. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. michaeltee

Thank you flavallee! Actually 6.0.1.8447 did pair up with the hardware. All looked good in device manager. But oddly, it seemed that installaing/uninstalling it served as a catalyst to get things working with the previous driver. The "why" of it is sort of inexplicable. I have a gut feeling that 6.0.18447 would work now if I were to reinstall it. I'm leaving well enough alone of course, but keeping a copy of the 6.0.18447 executable in case needed in the future :)

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice