1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop powers on but does not boot to windows

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cbud83, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cbud83

Cbud83 Thread Starter

So I have had this trouble for a month now. I moved from my apartment to the new home I purchased and made certain I was the one to pack the computer, which was basically the last thing to go before we left.

At any rate, this was a custom built PC that isn't even a year old. All parts purchased in 2015. When i power on the pc normally it doesnt boot into windows, but actually every now and again i can actually get it to boot. I have tried various trouble shooting for this circumstance. Swapped ram around, removed CMOS, reseated video card, etc. It can't be the ram as I've tried every single chip and I have 4 ram chips. I don't have any other video cards, PSU, or motherboard to try out to rule out the problem. Any suggestions? It completely puzzles me as to why it will randomly boot up sometimes but 9/10 times it just sits there with a black screen. Oh and by the way I get no beep codes from the motherboard anymore. No beeps at all.

2. djbeat2990

djbeat2990

unsupported CPU ... *maybe*

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3. Cbud83

Cbud83 Thread Starter

Processor should be fine. I just got the computer booted again after a number of tries and I noticed the clock is incorrect yet again. Time and date. I did not remove the CMOS between the the last time I got the PC booted and just now. Time for a new CMOS battery???

4. djbeat2990

djbeat2990

maybe you should give it a try...i dont know but you problem is weired..maybe repluging checking the cables ... i mean there are a numeros reasons for this ...cables?psu?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5. Cbud83

Cbud83 Thread Starter

Good news is I have an older CMOS battery from another mobo. Going to give that a try.

6. Cbud83

Cbud83 Thread Starter

**Update** Bad news. The CMOS battery from my old mother board did not fix the issue. The interesting thing is that when the computer DOES decide to boot, it goes back in time to 2007. I thought the CMOS controlled the clock. This is starting to make less and less sense to me. I want to say the PSU but my intuition seems to be wrong. I just find this very strange that of the year it has been working FLAWLESSLY, the day I move is the day it starts acting up...

7. Cbud83

Cbud83 Thread Starter

I also reseated most parts and wires and blew air into the board/fans. Nothing is helping.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    After you replaced the CMOS battery, did you correct the date and time in the BIOS before saving any setting changes and exiting it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. Cbud83

Cbud83 Thread Starter

Frank, I can't even get into the bios until the computer decides it wants to boot, which is completely random. Sometimes I need to power it on and off 20+ times...

10. Cbud83

Cbud83 Thread Starter

But I will correct it when I get it booted. I was just pointing outghe computer is still acting odd after trying a different CMOS battery

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You said you built that computer less than a year ago.
    Can you provide a detailed description of this hardware in it?
    Motherboard
    Processor
    Graphics card
    Power supply

Having to power on and off a computer multiple times before it starts and loads the operating system is a symptom of a failing power supply.
    Since we don't know anything about the hardware in that computer, it may be a failing power supply or it can't handle the hardware load.

12. Cbud83

Cbud83 Thread Starter

I should and was going to post specs in opening post. Give me a few and I will post my hardware specs. I appreciate the help!

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.

I'm not a hardware or diagnostic expert, so my input here is limited.
    Hopefully, one or more of the experts here will jump in.

14. Cbud83

Cbud83 Thread Starter

System specs:
    Psu: 650 watt arc m650 rosewill
    Mobo: MSI 970a-G43 am3 amd 970
    CPU: amd fx8320 8 core 3.5 GHz
    GPU: power color radeon r9 270

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1177550

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice