1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccdand?, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    Hi, I need a new desktop and was hoping I could get some recommendations (I have a newborn therefore don't have the time to custom build one). My husband would use it for work and for his music collection. I would use it for work and photo & video editing. I use programs such as QuickBooks, MS Office, and Photoshop. I was looking to spend no more than $800 if possible (I already have a keyboard, mouse & monitor.)

2. BG-0

BG-0

3. Compiler

Compiler

Does that budget include a monitor?

For Photoshop... you can't get a monitor that is TOO BIG... get a 24"... they are down to $350 for a good cheap one... (like one sale or at Costco).

4. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    I think 640 GB HDD would be sufficient for now. And no, the $800 budget is for the tower only; I already have all the peripherals.

5. BG-0

BG-0

Well, then you could go get that PC, maybe add a dedicated graphics card, like Radeon 3650/4350/4550 or so. That would be quite plenty for your needs, and fit your budget nicely.

6. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    do you recommend any brand in particular?

7. BG-0

BG-0

MSI, Sapphire, Palit, Powercolor, Gigabyte, HIS etc, they're all the same. Some have bad customer service and such, but there aren't any significant differences in the cards, some brands sell ones with a better cooling system, but at that level it makes no difference, either. Just find a one that has a long warranty and a low price.

8. Compiler

Compiler

9. BG-0

BG-0

Compiler stealing mah links!
    But yeah, that's a good example of a 3450 card.

10. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
    I'm sorry, I meant any brand PC in particular? such as Dell, HP, Gateway, eMachine, etc.

11. BG-0

BG-0

Not really anything to recommend in them. They're all built of the cheapest possible components and so on. That Gateway is excellent cover for your money.

12. Compiler

Compiler

They are all SLOGs (Same Level Of Garbage)... so it doesn't really matter. Get what is the best deal within reason. A weak CPU such as a Celeron is a problem with XP or vists, no matter the brand. None of the name brands are going to be sooo cheap that the PC will die in 3-6 months.. they do want repeat business in 2-4 years when you want to upgrade. The value you're getting for $400~700 is very good for a typical user... most likely, even a $500 dual core comptuer (AMD or Core2Duo) will be fast enough that you'd not notice the difference. if you're a gamer, then it changes things.

From what I saw at bestbuy, what I selected was the best deal for you desired budget and photoshop/video work... which can make some use of quad core CPUs. Of all he companies, I dislike Dell the most... for screwing over their customers with the most non-standard computers on the market.

13. ccdand?

ccdand? Thread Starter

First Name:
    Arhlene
  14. BG-0

BG-0

Which one of those on newegg? It doesn't find any specific one, just a list of Gateways.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice