1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SLockwood, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLockwood

SLockwood Thread Starter

I was on the internet on my computer and then all of a sudden it shuts down on me and when it starts back up the desktop no longer has any icons, expect the Recycle bin, the background picture is gone and it looks like the old windows classic. Whenever I click on something I get an error:

"C:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still cannot be located, the information might have been moved to a different location."

I can see that all of my files are still there, but if i try to open something nothing happens, as if the applications are not there. I am running on Windows 7.

I tried searching the site for something similar, and I did find this post, http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1137367-systemprofile-desktop-refers-location-unavailable.html but I am unfamilar with domains and I do not have a login, it just goes straight into the profile.

Can anyone help? Let me know if I need to provide anymore information.

Thank you.​

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    First go to C:\users\your username
    If you see two Desktop folders with one blank and the other with your Desktop items you need to delete the blank one.
    You can right click and select properties to see if there are files inside.

Next Copy
    the Desktop folder with your desktop items from C:\users\your username\ folder to C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\

It might be easier to drag the Desktop folder to the desktop and select copy here, then go back to Windows Explorer and drag the Desktop folder into config\systemprofile location

Last: Reboot the computer.

3. SLockwood

SLockwood Thread Starter

Hi plodr,

Thank you so much! It worked perfectly my computer is back up and running.

Thank you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147229

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice