1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Resolution/Graphics related to Game Performance?

Discussion in 'Games' started by NeoBix, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I was simply curious if anyone knows if the resolution (i.e. 800x600, 1024x768, etc.) and color graphics (i.e. 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit) settings for your desktop display have any effect whatsoever on how good games will run on your computer?

For example, if Computer A's desktop settings are at 800x600 with 16-bit color graphics and Computer B's desktop settings are at 1024/768 with 32-bit color graphics, and then you fire up Half-Life 2 on both computers, will the game run faster on Computer A or Computer B?

And if it will run faster, can you explain how/why?

Sorry for such strange questions. :p

2. iLLegaL89

iLLegaL89

lower the resolution, the faster the performance, but lower detail, i prefer having my reso @ highest it can go ;p for clarity etc =]

3. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

Hmmm... but... I don't understand one thing though.

If you change the resolution for your desktop, it doesn't change the resolution for your games too, does it?

Because in Windows right now I'm running my desktop resolution at 800x600 and then when I start up Half Life 2 my resolution on the game is 1024x768...

... so... correct me if I am wrong here, but changing the resolution on your desktop does NOT change the resolution in your games, right?

But I was curious if lowering the desktop resolution would still improve gaming performance in any way?

4. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

No it won't. Whatever setting you choose for your resolution in the game options is what your computer will be changed to while you are playing the game, lower the resolution the better for performance but it will hurt graphics quality. As soon as you exit the game your computer will revert back to what you chose for your desktop. Its from the in game options that you want to lower your resloution to get a performance boost.

Looking at what you have in your computer you should be able to run most games at high or near high quality settings. I am curious though why you have such a low desktop resolution setting? I was running my 17" crt at 1024x768 and am now running a 17"lcd at 1280x1024. Unless you have an old 14" monitor or poor eye sight turn your desktop resolution up and enjoy the extra realestate you get.

5. NeoBix

NeoBix Thread Starter

lol well I don't normally keep it at 800x600. I keep it at 1024x768 usually. I just had switched it to 800x600 to do some testing on different things. :p

By the way thanks a lot that basically answered my question. :)

6. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

you're welcome
    excuse me now, I must be off to Cyrodiil .... Oblivion calls and I'm powerless to resist

7. Dunko9

Dunko9

im always 1024x768 with 32bit with games and anything!;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/452822

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice