1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Resolutions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AtreideS, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 753DF 17inch monitor and I currently have the screen resolution set to 800*600 in WinXP. I know my monior can go to a higher resolution. I tried changing the setting to a higher resolution, it worked fine, except for the fact that everything was soo small. I then changed the DPI settings to 120 instead of 96, this helped but everything didn't really look as good as it did with 800*600 with 96DPI. Is there any advantages at having a higher screen resolution? What are some other peoples settings for their 17inch monitors? Please help.

2. RandyG

RandyG

I set mine to 1024 x 768 and use Normal size (96 DPI) for Font Size. Some people look at my monitor and think everything is too small, but I have gotten used to it, and like the fact that more of a window displays on my screen, so I scroll left and right less often.

3. kramnnim

kramnnim

My desktop has a 17 inch set at 1024x768, it almost seems too big. I'm almost ready to change to 1280x1024. My laptop has a 14 inch at 1400x1050, I love it. Text is almost on the small side, but still very crisp and clear.

4. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

Well I guess I'm going to have to try and find the best settings for my eyes. Anyway, thanks for your help everyone. I'll fiddle with my settings and report back soon.

5. AtreideS

AtreideS Thread Starter

Ok I have changed my resolution to 1280x768 and I also increased the DPI to 120. Now everything is still smaller than it was before. It looks nice and crisp, however when I am using IE6.0 I am noticing that some webpages only take up half the screen (even when a full IE window is open). Is this simply because the webistes arent optimised for a higher resolution? or is there some setting I can change to improve the looks of webpages? Please help. Thanks

6. stephane

stephane

I think you should set the resolution as you want without wearing classes to look at your screen. The advantage of having a bigger resolution is the ability to see a full A4 page in MS word for example, or having a widder view in some games...
    My screen is a 19" and I using a 1280*1024, but with my graphic card and my screen I can set up 2048*1600 but I have to use binoculars !!
    For IE the problem come from the site itself some are optimized for 800*600 or 1024*768... there is no setting for this.
    Hope this help...

FAQ winXP in french : http://a.vouillon.online.fr/faq-winxp.htm

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!