1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Screen keeps flickering and blacking out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by valkyrie374, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valkyrie374

valkyrie374 Thread Starter

Hi,

Alright so here's what's wrong.

I own a Dell desktop computer and it's just under by a month or so of 3 years old.
    My display is experiencing problems, it's flickering really badly, it would flicker and then go black, flicker again (worse or better) and then go black again and so forth. Moving the mouse around improves the flickering, but not by much.

I think it is a video card problem as my desktop screen is fine. Is it possible that there are any other causes [i.e. software or virus]?

The most crucial thing is that I can get back all the data in my hard drive. What would be the best steps to take in this situation?

Thank you and if there is any further information required I can go dig it, thanks again in advance :D

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That sounds a lot like a loose cable to the screen!!

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    It could possibly be the backlight failing on the screen itself (assuming its an LCD type flat screen?).

When it goes dark, can you see anything at all, even a very feint image of what should be there? It may be easier to point a torch at the screen when it is like that to see if you can see an image at all. If you can see a really feint image either with, or without a torch shining directly on the screen, then the chances are its the backlight / inverter failing.

I have changed these on laptops and would assume a desktop LCD is similar, it should be a fairly cheap and easy fix if that is the fault.

4. valkyrie374

valkyrie374 Thread Starter

I tried both but still dead, any other ideas? And I need a way to extract all my data, seeing as I can barely see my screen and after a while it BSOD's itself.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice