1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Security

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Cage72, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good Security Program..Freeware preferred.. I want to be able to leave my computer on..but have my desktop secured..while i'm away from th computer..also for it to be password protected upon bootup. Any all info is appreciated...thanks in advance.

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

For password on bootup, look through your BIOS, most of them allow a CMOS Password.

3. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

Thanks Brendan...ya i forgot about the cmos configuration...Now what i really need is a desktop security program i can use for locking up my desktop with...when i'm away from it for extended periods of time....some probably password protected. Any info is appreciated.

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

How extended of periods we talking? Because with the usual software program, they can just hold the power button, then restart the machine.

If its in a somewhat accessible place for a long time, it may be better to physically block access, dont know exactly what you would do though.

Its probably not enough for you, but I just unplug the mouse and keyboard :)

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How about a password on the screen saver? You can also install one of those "hot corners" utilities so you can immediately start the screen saver if you're walking away.

6. Cage72

Cage72 Thread Starter

I just want to be able to block access to my pc desktop while i'm not around..without having to power down/up all the time..something to the extent of just like clicking and icon and locking up the desktop then when i come back..it only can be re-opened via a password something along those lines. Some sort of screensaver program would work..or something that would turn off my system altogether if too many invalid password entries were used. Again thanks in advance.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice