1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop setting and Internet Options wont work

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by muppy03, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muppy03

muppy03 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chris
    Hi, I have xp home eddition with 4 user accounts. 2 accounts work fine the other 2 are having problems.

The desktop settings will not change. You can click what you want and hit apply but changes will not be made and when you open them up again they are back to where they were (which is different to what they should be).

Same for internet options. They have gone to 'never dial a connection' also cannot change home page etc. In the two problem accounts the internet is inaccessable.

Also when you click 'start' button the whole left hand column is blank.

The whole appearance of the accounts is like half xp style and half classic windows style.

I have done a sytem restore (that wont work) says no changes have been made, run adaware and spybot plus avg virus scan (all were updated).

The 2 working accounts are working perfectly!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I wont be able to try out all the helpful information you are going to give me:) until tomorrow night.

I hope someone can help.

Thank you

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

Delete the offending accounts. Reboot and make new ones. Sometimes user accounts become corrupt.

3. muppy03

muppy03 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chris
    Sorry for taking so long to answer. I took your advice. New accounts made and all working well. Sometimes the simplist advice is the best. thanks again

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

No problem. Glad things worked out. Problem solved.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!