1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

desktop settings aren't personalized!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by whytwolf, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whytwolf

whytwolf Thread Starter

I've been trying now for a couple of months to figure this aggravating problem out....i hope someone here might be able to fill me in......

When i got my new computer a few months ago, i made separate 'desktop' for each of my 2 sons and my husband also....and checked all the boxes in control panel/users....then clicked on the 'user name' and then the "change settings" button; except for the bottom box. I checked the box 'create copies of current items and their content'.

But every time i add a shortcut or icon to my quicklaunch bar....it ends up on HIS quicklaunch! And if he deletes one on his.....its deleted on MINE TOO! Now what i really don't understand is this....this doesn't happen with my boys desktops....theirs are separate like they're all supposed to be and ours aren't! (i'm getting tired of constantly having to add an icon to my quicklaunch because he doesn't want it on his!)

I tried making myself a new id and desktop and copied all my settings....to make the new one .....so i wouldn't lose everything.....it didn't work. I even tried making my husband a completely new desktop starting fresh....because he doesn't do much on the computer and i do.....so making him a new one wasn't a problem....he didn't have alot of stuff to add to a new desktop. But that didn't work either!!

This has really got me stumped!!!! I hope someone can clue me in on this.....cause i don't know what to do now.

Thanks for any help you can give!!!!

2. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, whytwolf

Try this please go to Windows help & type

Desktop Settings & click on to Enable Multiple Users

to personaliz settings

Good Luck

3. whytwolf

whytwolf Thread Starter

:) Thanks for replying so fast! But i've already done that....a long time ago....i forgot to mention it in the original post....sorry!

I just can't seem to figure this one out! I hope someone out there can...

:confused:

4. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hey, whytwolf

Did you try going to control panel

clicking on passwords then User

profiles & check the settings

5. whytwolf

whytwolf Thread Starter

Yes i've checked both the User settings and Password settings.

On Passwords/UserProfiles tab i have "users can customize.... ; Include desktop icons; and Include Start Menu" all checked.

And in Users I've included the pic of what i've checked in there...

I'm beginning to think that the quicklaunch bar isn't something that CAN be personalized??

:eek:

Attached Files:

6. AAPlus

AAPlus

Hello, whytwolf

Lit's try something go & add a new user

& see if the same problem happens

7. whytwolf

whytwolf Thread Starter

Thanks so much for trying to help!

I made another user yesterday....

"I tried making myself a new id and desktop and copied all my settings....to make the new one .....so i wouldn't lose everything.....it didn't work."

Do you think if i made one without copying the settings of the old one that might work? I'd hate to have to add all that stuff back....god! theres loads of it! LOL But, if that will work i guess it wouldn't hurt to try it....i can always leave my old one alone till after i find out huh?

:D

8. whytwolf

whytwolf Thread Starter

Well i'm giving up on this one......i guess the taskbar isn't included in what you can 'personalize' like the start menu, docs folder, user settings are.

I was also wrong about my boys taskbars not changing when my husband or i would change ours.....theirs do change too! I just didn't think they did cause they never said anything about it....but when i asked them about it; they said 'yeah..they change....but they don't mess with the taskbar much so it didn't matter to them'.

Making a new user didn't work either btw. Now that we know this we'll just have to live with each others 'customizations' on the taskbar i guess!

Oh well! :p Thanks anyway for trying to help.....i appreciate it!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice