1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop settings not saved

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Angelrat, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Angelrat

Angelrat Thread Starter

My desktop settings are not being saved. I can turn off auto arrange and arrange the icons to my liking but when I reboot they are arranged on the left of the screen. Same goes for Quick Launch. I can turn it on and it's there but when I reboot it's gone.

Any help would be appreciated. It's driving me nuts.

2. Crusnik

Crusnik

Have you tried creating a new user and logging in as that? Maybe your current user profile is corrupt.

3. Angelrat

Angelrat Thread Starter

I haven't tried that. What will that do to all of my documents, etc.

4. Crusnik

Crusnik

They won't be under the new user name, but if creating a new user works, I can tell ya how to copy over your My Documents, Favorites, etc to the new profile.

5. Angelrat

Angelrat Thread Starter

Creating a new account worked. Is there no way to repair a user profile?

6. Crusnik

Crusnik

Not to my knowledge =/... Someone correct me if I'm wrong... But I've never had luck repairing corrupt user accounts.

To copy over your files from the other profile:
    • Log into the old account or administrator, anything other than the new profile or you may get Access Denied errors since the files are in use.
    • Goto My Computer > C:\Documents and Settings\(Name of old profile)
    • Copy the following folders to C:\Documents and Settings\(Name of new profile): Desktop, My Documents, Favorites, and Start Menu.

Click yes to any message asking you if you want to over write the current files.

7. Angelrat

Angelrat Thread Starter

Thanks! That worked. I assume that I can delete the old profile then create that profile again and copy it all back over... and I'm back with the old profile?

8. Crusnik

Crusnik

Thats correct, for the most part =). Alot of apps will be back to their default settings, so you may run into things you'll have to redo now and then (Window sizes, background, etc). Other than that though, you should be good.

9. Angelrat

Angelrat Thread Starter

Thanks again! I was almost ready to start completely over.

10. Crusnik

Crusnik

I aim to please! =)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!