1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop shortcut problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by brovic, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brovic

brovic Thread Starter

Hello, I have a problem with desktop shortcuts which is a little different from all those that I have read, and there have been many. Like other users, when I click on a Word or Excel Shortcut icon, 9/10 times I get the legend "Windows can't find........" However, I then go back and click on it a second time and it always, always opens. So, although annoying, I have lived with it for over a year. Can anybody please suggest a solution? Thanks....

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Not sure which Office you have .....but when you installed them...did the installer put the shortcuts there or did you?

Go to program files and find the folder for say word and you should see the exe for word that the shortcut is linked to......then go to your desktop and delete the Word shortcut.......right click the Word.exe in the Program files and choose create desktop shortcut........see if that solves the problem.........

3. brovic

brovic Thread Starter

Thank you, Megabite, for your time and consideration. I should explain more fully. I have no problem opening either Word or Excel from any location. My problem is with documents I have created and have sent Shortcuts to my Desktop. I have noted, from your observations, that most had the word "shortcut" in the title, so I have deleted this word from the Icon, but it makes no difference. On the odd occasion, it will open first time. I am running Office 2007, although it says "In Compatability Mode". Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice