1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Slow-Down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Sunra05, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sunra05

Sunra05 Thread Starter

I have Windows '98. I recently switched to a new background. Now if i try to close a folder or window on the desktop, it takes a really long time to close. If I try to move a folder or window, it takes a really long time to move from the original location to the new location. Everything seems to move in slow motion. This only happens to items on the desktop and nowhere else. I already got rid of all existing spyware and viruses on my computer, but it still does this. What should I do?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    How about some specs on your computer(i.e. processor type and speed, amount of RAM installed, size of hard drive and amount of free space left, etc.).

Personally, I use no background wallpaper and no screensaver on my older computers because it places too much of a graphics load on them.

When was the last time that you deleted everything in "Find - Files And Folders" under:

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.*

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

then emptied the Recycle Bin and defragged the hard drive?

3. Sunra05

Sunra05 Thread Starter

I did everything you suggested: deleted all temporary files multiple times, emptied recycle bin, and defragged hard drive. I also checked the hard drive for errors. None of this seemed to work, as everything on the desktop still moves very slowly. By the way, I've got a 4 GB hard drive (2.7 GB used, 1.29 GB Free), an Intel Aceleron processor which is 433 MHz, and 64 MB RAM. Please Help!

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    64 MB of RAM is not going to do it. That computer needs more, especially since it also has an old, slow processor.

Go into the display properties background tab and change it to "None" and just use a plain background for now.

What is the brand name, model name, and model number of that computer?

5. 1069

I find I get the same effect when I use a digital photo taken at high resolution. Is this the case with you? If so you may need to alter the "background" to a lower resolution.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Any function that uses a lot of "eye candy" and graphical motion is going to eat up memory and computer cycles and slow things down, unless you have a FAST computer and LOTS of RAM.

7. carbcycle

carbcycle

Are you running this computer on a domain? If you are and have roaming profiles enabled you could get slow start-up on the desktop as it is downloading from the server and if you have a large background then it will be real slow.

8. Sunra05

Sunra05 Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Armada V300. I am in fact using a photo of high resolution (1872 KB) as my background, and I find that if I use a photo of lower resolution, everything still runs pretty slowly (but it is a bit better). How much RAM do you suggest this computer should have in order for it to run smoothly and quickly on a regular basis, no matter what my background is? Also, what is a domain and roaming profiles? (please excuse my computer illiteracy)

9. Sunra05

Sunra05 Thread Starter

I reduced the resolution of the picture and now everything on the desktop moves faster. I guess the only thing I need to do to get it back to full speed is to get more memory.

10. carbcycle

carbcycle

Domain - A domain is a group of computers and devices on a network that are administered as a unit with common rules and procedures.

I take it from your posts you are not running this computer on a network/domain.

Roaming Profiles - The roaming profile is a collection of files and directories storing information about your setup e.g. screen colour, desktop shortcuts and so forth. It is also where Windows stores files located on the desktop.

When you log out of Windows it will be written back to the server and the copy on the machine will be deleted.

Since your not on a network you won't be using roaming profiles.

Maybe your problem is just down to the amount of resource required to do what you require with your PC - digital photography etc.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I was not aware that your computer was a laptop until you told me what type it is. The HP/Compaq site didn't provide any information for it on RAM, however according to the Crucial site here, your laptop comes with 2 RAM slots and has 1 slot filled with a 64 MB module. It supports a maximum of 512 MB of RAM, but you don't need that much RAM with Windows 98. 2 - 128 MB modules would do just fine. It'll cost you about $100.00 to increase the RAM to 256 MB.

If you've never made use of it, the updates site for your computer is located here.

12. Sunra05

Sunra05 Thread Starter

Thanks for everybody's help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice