1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop "Start" missing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Lyk2no, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

Running Vista Home Premium SP2
    I lost the "Start" icon on my desktop. Start up (boot) takes more time and I do not get the icons to line up as before.
    They are all on the left side with open space on the right. Also, the "Start"icon, that was in the lower left corner, is not there anymore.
    No "Start" icon shows at all so, to shut down I must use the button on the tower.
    How & when the desktop got messed up I wish I knew so that I could give more info. Please help.

2. Lyk2no

Lyk2no Thread Starter

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Could you please [library=TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot]Post a Screenshot[/library] to show what you're seeing.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ent, how will the OP open Paint to paste and save the screenshot without the Start button?

Can you get the full desktop complete with the Start button if you boot in to Safe mode?

Try this:
    Press CTRL + ALT + DEL and select Task Manager.
    Under the Aplications tab click on New Task.
    Clear the box and type explorer.exe and click on OK.
    That should make all the icons appear again, please post back with the result.

NOTE. You can use this process to start Paint by typing mspaint.exe in the box.

If that didn't work please tell us of any recent changes you have made, new software, updates, etc.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Good point that.
    I assumed in the same way as the OP is opening his web browser, but I guess that could be on a different machine.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try opening the Start menu with WindowsKey.

Be sure to run chkdsk /f after shutting the machine down with the switch so that any problems with the file system don't just add to your woes.

You can also use WindowsKey+R to get a Run box to start any programs you know the command line for. And you can go to the Programs folder in your profile to access all the shortcuts that are in the Start menu.

mspaint.exe is in your path, so if you type just that into the Run box or the New Task box under the File menu in Task Manager, you can start it. Then post a screenshot, please.

Do you have a Taskbar at all? What is your resolution set at? Is it set high enough to make the Start button offscreen? If you move the mouse to the left wall, does the desktop shift over?

7. mwanted

mwanted

IF your start bar is gone and your icons are gone from ur desktop, start task manager bye pressing "ctrl+alt+delete" and press "new task" and type in "explorer.exe" without the (")...if thats not the case then never mind :eek:

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

See post 4 :D

9. mwanted

mwanted

huh...well waddya know...:eek:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice