1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

desktop to wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by normz, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. normz

normz Thread Starter

hie
    i have 2 laptops (xp & vista) and both can connect to internet via a g netgear router. i have added a card on my desktop xp but cant connect although it picks up the router. when i enter the key error msg is about 40 or 104 bits needed or 5 or 13 ascii characters. the same key that is working on the laptops.
    Also i would like connect these as a network so that i can share files wirelessly please help

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're using the ASCII passcode option, try redoing the encryption and ONLY use the HEX key option. The passcodes don't always translate to the correct key on different equipment.

3. normz

normz Thread Starter

thanks john but how do i redo the encryption?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Login to your router. If you can't just change the encryption key then disable encryption, apply, and then re-enable encryption and give the new key.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623869

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice