1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop very slow on internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BOB1932, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BOB1932

BOB1932 Thread Starter

Running xp pro, IE 8,FF 18.1, Aol 9.6.All three browser are now running very slow.I have fios,had test done and is 18 or 19 meg down and about 4.5 meg up.I have run spywear (2 different one) nothing. Run N I Security.Problem started about 1-2 weeks ago with FF ,did not notice then if it started with others. I have two laptops (xp pro &MS 7) on network and they are OK.Just my desktop that is hard wired, is the only computer that goes very slow on the internet.It does not matter if the laptops are connected or not ,still a problem with the desktop.I have checked the router home page and only see my computers hooked up.What I mean by being slow ---web pages (tabs) take 2-5 minutes to load or longer.AOL has always been slow but FF was much better. now FF is really bad. IE is just a little better than aol. I did a total reset and then a uninstall and reinstall.Nothing,then noticed that the other browsers are slower to. Any ideas.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3326 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 501944 MB, Free - 298973 MB; D: Total - 372766 MB, Free - 349318 MB; E: Total - 327826 MB, Free - 327690 MB; F: Total - 499921 MB, Free - 148614 MB; G: Total - 79156 MB, Free - 78668 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., EP45-UD3P
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Vaiohelp

Vaiohelp

Have you tried rebooting the system, or system restore?

3. BOB1932

BOB1932 Thread Starter

I had tried system restore a few times ,final time is back to Jan 1 2013. As far as rebooting,my system is shut down at night.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Uninstall Norton (make sure you know the product key) and run the Norton Removal Tool. You can reinstall it after testing.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. BOB1932

BOB1932 Thread Starter

I had tried the ICP/IP stack repair,but I had NIS working.Will try in morning after I uninstall nortons
    By the way I started the desk top in safe mode with networking. FF worked very good. So what does that mean?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That the cause of the problem is a process or service that runs in normal mode but not in Safe Mode with Networking.

7. BOB1932

BOB1932 Thread Starter

I uninstalled NIS and ran netshell.The same thing with the different browsers. FF still has the green light spinning for a few minutes. Why can fire fox work in safe mode with networking but not is regular mode?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From post # 6:

9. BOB1932

BOB1932 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the time answering me.The trouble was very simple to fix long as you knew what to do.I had cleared the internet files in the browsers but not in windows--INTERNET OPTIONS.Once I followed info from below the speed went back to normal.So thanks for your time.

go to your control panel

open internet options

choose the connections tab

click the lan settings button

ensure that the proxy server setting has nothing next to address and the box is unchecked for "use a proxy server..."

hit ok

click on the general tab

under browser history, choose delete

delete temporary internet files

click ok on everything, try again

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for letting us know your solution.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice