1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop Wallpaper Proportions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lschul, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I just took some digital pictures that I want to put on my desktop, they are high quality but I am having trouble getting them to fit right. If I hit stretch, it stretches it slightly out of proportion and if I hit center, it makes the picture so big it won't fit in the screen. I think I have my setting rights but am not sure, I am using a Dell laptop. Any ideas how I can take this photo, put iton my desktop and see it in proportion?

2. doggard

doggard

Sounds like you need to crop the pictures to a proportionate size similar to the desktop size your using.You can do this in any desktop publishing application i.e. paint.

3. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

OK using paint how do I do that? I can't tell what my pixels are, do I reduce that? I am having trouble trying to figure out how to crop too. Thanks

4. doggard

doggard

What size desktop are you using 800x 600,960 x 720,1024 x 768,wide screen,dual screen ??
    What size is the image?
    Cropping in paint is from Image/Attributesinput size [its in the help file].

If your still unsure use Infranview [freeware]

5. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

Almost any imaging program is easier to use (for cropping) than MS Paint... try Irfanview (freeware). You will (unless your laptop has a really unusual screen size) need a 4:3 aspect ratio.

6. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

An afterthought:

Most digital cameras use the 4:3 aspect ratio... do you perhaps have an ubusual resolution displayed on your laptop (such as 1280x1024, for instance)?

7. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

My desktop is 1280x800. I am on irfanview now, I went to image - resize and will see what I can do there, any suggestions? Match the pixels? Best fit to desktop? Thanks

8. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I just tried desktop fit and it is stretched again, will play around, I just may end up with bars on the sides of the picture

9. bobol

bobol

I suppose it sounds like you should be cropping from the top and/or bottom of your pic, to prevent the bars at the sides. If you are having fun 'playing around', try adding a blank/coloured 'bar to the left side of your pic[ie, an amount to make your picture have a correct desktop ratio] and have that vertical bar fade into the picture[ie, use airbrush edit tool]. This'll make desktopm icons stand out more on a solid colour...if you like the idea.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!