1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop windows manager

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by larryslade, Jan 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryslade

larryslade Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 8400 Triple-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 3
    RAM: 3837 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 141943 MB, Free - 36695 MB; D: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 22982 MB; E: Total - 144353 MB, Free - 140279 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, WMCP78M
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated and Enabled

Every time I fire up my pc I get this box--- Could not load or run C:\users\admin\appdata\local\temp\dwm.exe---I just x out of the box and go on. I guess the Desktop Windows Manager got wiped out somehow but when I boot up the system looks for it. I don't really want the DWM. What do I have to do to get rid of the message box? I have a feeling it involves the registry, which I've always stayed away from fooling with. Thanks

2. valis

valis Moderator

here's a good read on dwm and vista. Truth told, that is probably the first thing I disable; the ram usage isn't worth the fancy viewing stuff.

3. larryslade

The error message I get every time I boot up seems to be the only item left standing from the DWM. I disabled the service. Do I have to delete the dwm.exe file?

4. valis

valis Moderator

how long have you had this machine? Have you ever had virus issues?

5. larryslade

I've had the computer for about four years. I don't remember many virus issues. I must have had some otherwise the WDM wouldn't be gone. I've been getting the error message for about 6-8 months. So something must have happened around then.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice