1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop won’t connect to internet but laptops will

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sensualsamsquanch, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sensualsamsquanch

sensualsamsquanch Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I’ve been having constant issues with my desktop staying connected to internet. Sometimes it’ll lose connection for a minute, an hour, or multiple days. The past few days I haven’t been able to access internet on my desktop - however, my dad’s laptop connects just fine. I included a picture of IPCONFIG /ALL if that helps, however DHCP has been enabled.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

A network address starting with 169.nnn. means that Windows did not receive an IP Address from the router. Therefore, Windows assigned an IP Address so that you could at least access your local network. IP Addresses beginning with 169.nnn. are private only cannot be routed over the internet.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The default gateway is blank. That means the ethernet port in your computer and the router aren't talking.
    Things to try:
    1. Change the ethernet cable between your computer and the router.
    2. Change the port on the router that your PC is currently using.

If neither of those changes work, it is possible that the ethernet port is either using the wrong driver or is dying.

Two possible ways to solve this:
    1. Internally install a new ethernet card
    or
    2. Purchase a USB device with an ethernet port and use that instead of the internal device.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you have any internet security programs?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice