1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desktop wont fully boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CLFMakani, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CLFMakani

CLFMakani Thread Starter

Currently posting this from my android phone, please forgive any typos.

So recently I've been replacing parts in my computer for better performance, currently I've bought a dedicated video card, a new processor, and a new power supply. I've put all the pieces in and I'm pretty sure I have everything plugged in correctly, but my computer won't boot fully. It powers up and I hear the fans turning but there's no display on my monitor. Before anyone says I have something disconnected; I've tested it with my older hardware and it runs just fine, so I know I have things hooked up correctly, even double checked each time.
    Currently in the middle of testing different combinations, I know it runs with my video card in, but when I put in my newer processor that's when troubles start. I also don't see any reason my psu should affect anything, it gives 530W, isn't that a substantial amount?
    Id be grateful if someone could help me solve this dillema.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Did you check your motherboards site and make sure the processor is supported by your board? If so, do you have the correct BIOS version installed for the processsor.

3. CLFMakani

CLFMakani Thread Starter

I wasn't aware motherboards didn't accept certain processors.. hm... Well I was going to buy a new motherboard anyhow, is there an online resource site that lists which motherboards and processors are compatible? Also if you have a site that instructs how to go about installing the correct BIOS i'd appreciate it.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

You pick out your processor and motherboard, then go to the motherboard manufacturers site where they will have a list of the processors supported by that board and the BIOS revision required for that processor. If BIOS has to be updated the motherboard manufacturers site has all the information regarding flashing the BIOS.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

Pulll your processor cooler and clean the processor heatspreader (the top of the processor). There will be etched a series of numbers, write down all the numbers on the processor.

Next, look on your motherboard and somewhere on there it should be etched the exact make, model and revision number of the motherboard. Post the motherboard information and the processor information and someone should be able to help you.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice