Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Desparate

841 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  cwt1924 
#1 ·
Season's Greetings to all.
Recently, I had to put my computer in the shop. I had previously been using Win98 SE but my repairman installed Win XP Professional. All went well until I tried to restore a backup of my financial files to my Quicken 2000 program. Now, I am unable to restore backups on a CDRW disk nor am I able to backup to the disk or a blank one. I badly need to restore this data. Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
So what you are saying is you have lost control of your CD burner?

Will it read ordinary CDs?

What brand/model of computer; how old?

What brand/model of CD/RW? How old? What software had you been using to access it? It could be that you just need to reinstall that software (Nero, or some such) so that it will work with XP.

#4 ·
Reinstall quicken?

Are the backup files in a proprietary format, or in some standard format? Can you open the backup CD with Explorer and copy/paste the files someplace on the HD?

I don't use quicken, so if this gets into proprietary stuff, someone else will have to help you.

#8 ·
Before you can back up to CD-R or CD-RW, you must configure your CD-RW drive to work like an alternate hard disk. When you´re done, you should be able to copy files from your hard disk to a CD-R or CD-RW. In addition, for many operating systems, you must install a third-party program to enable your computer to copy files from your hard disk to a CD-R or CD-RW. If you need assistance, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions that came with the CD-RW drive, or contact your computer or hardware manufacturer for more information about using the applications that came with the CD-RW drive.

reference: http://web.intuit.com/support/quicken/2000/win/6145.html

#9 ·
When I try to Restore Backup, I get the message "cannot read from this disk". I have tried copying to a new CD-R but the same thing happens. Also it does it when I try to backup new files on a CDR orCDRW. It will backup files on 3 1/2" floppies but nothing else. I have reinstalled Quicken but it doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.