1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desperate Attempt at Getting my External Hard Drive to Work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FaeryTaleEnding, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FaeryTaleEnding

FaeryTaleEnding Thread Starter

Hello,

I feel like such an idiot, because I used to work and be very good at Tech support. Windows Vista (and a failed attempt on both XP and OSX) have driven me here.

I used to have a Compaq nx9010 laptop that crapped out on me. I took the hard drive out, as it didn't fail with the rest of the computer. I just ordered a hard drive enclosure and got it in the mail. Everything seems to be working fine, drivers installed and are working correctly.

The hard drive has a bunch of files on it and a copy of Windows XP with SP2. I just want to get the files off the hard drive, and have tried this on my laptop (which is running Vista), my main PC (which is running Mac OSX) and on my boyfriends PC (which is running Windows XP).

On both XP and Vista, the device get immediately recognised. Vista installed the drivers and sees the hard drive as a portable device in the device manager. XP doesn't get quite that far with it...

Anyways, I want to do this on Vista. So, when I go to try and locate it on my computer, the ONLY places it even comes up are in the device manager and in the safely remove hardware wizard. So it sees it, it knows it is there, but I cannot access it. At all. I've tried everything that I can think to get this to work, including going into the BIOS and changing the boot order and enabling windows to boot from a USB hard drive. But still, nothing.

Has anyone else run into anything like this? Any suggestions or knowledge about how to get it to work? Thanks so much!

-Whitney

2. FaeryTaleEnding

3. bigbear

bigbear

You said the compaq laptop crapped out on you, the hard drive could have as well
    If the hard drive is installed correcty, jumpered master, windows recognizes the drive but cant access it would indicate a problem with the drive.
    See if PCinspector can access the drive
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm

4. FaeryTaleEnding

I'm positive the hard drive is fine.

What went wrongwith the laptop was the fan over the processor. An ex of mine took it apart to try and fix it and never put itback together. When I went to fix it, he had screwed up connections and other fun stuff, so it just never worked again.

5. vandy013

vandy013

I've had a similar problem with a drive I put in a HD enclsure and it disapeared from windows. What had actually happened was that there was an error in the MBR and I just used a simple free program to fix that and now the drive works great. This program can see disks and partitions that windows cannot. It is called TestDIsk and you can get the program here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download It can be used to recover the MBR, partitions, files, etc. I'd suggest you give that a shot.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!