1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desperate for help :(

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by letmedanz, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. letmedanz

letmedanz Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have been facing some severe issues lately..
    I had posted a couple of problems regarding my RAM & external HDDs etc as i assumed them to be causing the problems, however it seems worse.

Background:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2046 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 3 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 95898 MB, Free - 14032 MB; D: Total - 514477 MB, Free - 235564 MB; E: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 45794 MB; K: Total - 610476 MB, Free - 335935 MB; L: Total - 99 MB, Free - 60 MB;
    Motherboard: XFX, XFX nForce 650i Ultra
    Antivirus: None

The above is from System Info utility, after a fresh install of windows.

a few months back, i start facing slowing down of the system.
    The PC would start and behave normally but after a few hours, it will slow down drastically till the time i wouldn't restart.
    After, i started having the BSODs.
    Automatically i assumed the RAM modules were fried so i picked up a new 2GB module.
    Installed in the system & tried doing some operations i started having random reboots.
    I have a couple of external hard disks connected, so every time the PC would restart or had a BSOD, my HDD would get unrecognized.
    It would change into a different FS & i had no option but to reformat & stuff.
    This happened a few times after which i removed the larger 3TB and connected it to my MAC.
    (I didn't do this in the first place as i wanted to keep my PC as a server and maybe a future NAS).
    Anyhow, now i am facing random restarts, BSODs for any operation i do.
    If i try formatting the external HDD it restarts.
    If i try copying files from my PC to my HDD to permanently connect this other HDD (1 TB) to my MAC, it restarts again.
    Not always does it show the BSOD.
    After restarting windows displays an error "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown".
    I haven't copied this error down unfortunately.

Now am really stumped cos i don't know if some other hardware component (like the video card) is busted or anything else or if it's a windows issue.

I know i need to run more tests, but am not sure which ones to run to identify the problems.
    Please advice!

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

L M D z:
    Please provide the link to your most recent thread.

It was pleasure working with you in the previous thread.

What is FS?

Verify that your computer is configured to create & save mini dumps.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/174459-dump-files-configure-windows-create-bsod.html

To what did you connect to your MAC? A computer? A hard disk drive [ HDD ]?

Thanks for posting your specs using the forum's system info utility.
    (y)

Please provide the brand, model & model # of
    Your C: drive
    Each of your other drives
    Your power supply; include the # of watts, please.

An image or text of the error & warnings you receive will be really helpful. If you have a camera, take pictures if an error occurs outside of W7.

Go to C:\windows\minidumps
    Copy the 5 most recent .dmp files to a folder.
    RiGHT click said folder.
    Send to > compressed [ zipped ] folder
    Post that as an attachment to this thread

How would you rate your computer hardware expertise; beginning, intermediate or advanced?
    Do you understand the term "electrostatic precautions".

Troubleshooting:
    1. Boot to last known good config.
    Follow the steps of this tutorial, but instead of high lighting safe mode, highlight "last known good config"
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69585-safe-mode.html

2. If the problem persists, boot to safe mode.

3. If the problem persists, turn off the computer.
    Disconnect everything from the outside of your computer except the mouse, the monitor, the keyboard, the power cord. Yes, even the speakers. :)
    Boot to normal mode.

If the problem persists, boot to safe mode, with the items above still unplugged.

Did you build the computer?
    edit
    What is your computer doing when the crashes occur?

Is your computer set to sleep or hibernate or turn off automatically after a certain amount of time?

end edit

Keep us posted

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Do you know how to make a bootable disk from a .iso file?

Which CD and DVD burning software is installed?

I use Nero & Roxio / Sonic.

If you don't have any, I've read about Image Burn, but I haven't used it so I could provide any information about its use.
    http://www.imgburn.com/

I'll post some diagnostic tests, later.

RF123

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

L M D z:
    Do the external dries connect using USB or Firewire or external SATA or other type of connection?

With all of your external drives connected, please:
    In normal mode, RIGHT click "computer"
    Left click "manage"
    Maximze the screen
    On the left, left click "disk management"
    Create a screen shot & post it.

RF123

5. letmedanz

letmedanz Thread Starter

Thanks Rainforest.

Will answer the questions one by one...

By FS i mean file system.. as in the system can not recognize the format anymore when the system restarts.
    At times it appears in the disk management, at times it doesn't.. sometimes it shows as invalid format & i would need to reformat..

Yes, Win7 is configured to save memory dumps..
    at present it is set to save kernel dumps

I disconnected the 3TB from the win7 machine & connected it to the mac (out of frustration as i couldn't deal with the drive crashing anymore)

I have attached 3 files -
    a) the screenshot of Disk Management
    b) screen shot of the hardware (internal disks) for name & model numbers etc
    c) a .rar file with the memory dumps. (There were only 3 dumps at the location)

I would say i would consider myself as intermediate in terms of hardware skills.
    I did assemble this system & have been upgrading as required.

yes, i tried last known config.. did not work.
    tried a number of options & finally reinstalled win7.. he issue still persists.

there is absolutely nothing else installed to the system & nothing connected either :)

there appears to be no fixed reason or timing for the crashes.
    at times it happens a few minutes after booting and at times, it wont reboot for hours.
    But it usually crashes when the system is doing some operation (never or idle or standby)
    the most i have seen this is when i have tried copying data from the internal to external HDD.

Let me know and your help is much appreciated

Attached Files:

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

L M D z?
    By FS, do you refer to the OS [ operating system ] ?

I read this reply, but I am still confused. Happening with increasing frequency. :D

How many operating systems were installed on this computer when the problem began? When did a change occur? From what OS was an upgrade to W7 performed?

If you are not referring to W7 as your FS, to what other File Systems were present on the computer.

W7 needs to be configured to save

Please see attached .jpg
    Select the small memory dump & check only box I have checked, please.

Good. That make troubleshooting the computer from a HDWE standpoint, if necessary, easier.
    (y)

Is it consisent that every time some evemt, such as inactivity.

Is it consistent that every time a particular program or combination of programs is used [ maybe simply open but not actively in use by you ] the problem occurs?

If the answer to either of those questions is yes, boot to safe mode [ no networkig at this time ] and use the computer as normal, within the limitations of safe mode.

REALLY? Have the proglems vanished since you disconnected the 3TB external drive?

There is a problem with W7 & 3 TB HDDs.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/235088/everything_you_need_to_know_about_3TB_hard_drives.html

And this is why you have no problems with the 3 TB HDD on the Mac.
    Keep me posted.

I don't do .rar files. That 's why I provided instructions for compressing to a .zip
    (y)

WE will wait on booting to safe mode. I'll leave it here, because I've already composed it and it would be a shame to waste such exquisite prose.
    :D

RF123

7. letmedanz

letmedanz Thread Starter

By FS I meant the format of the external drives :)
    NTFS is what i format them in, but when the system randomly reboots, the drives become unrecognizable.

Have been on Win7 for over 2 years i guess... no changes in between.

About the reboots happening, i just figured it happens anytime.
    Had left the system on for a while last evening & after a couple of hours i saw it had rebooted.
    There was a 'windows has recovered from an unexpected shut down' as always.
    i have copied the error msg... will post when i get back home (at work atm)

No, the problem exists even after the 3TB drive has been removed.

will re-up the dump file as well along with the error message

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

l :
    I am confused.

Initially, you noted
    Now, you state

Please help me to understand.
    :)

Was the problem present before you had connected the 3TB drive, the 1st time ever?

RF123

9. letmedanz

letmedanz Thread Starter

Since this problem started, the first component to get effected was the external hard disks.
    Immaterial of whether the hard disks are connected or not, the BSODs & random restarts keep happening.
    I've had teh 3TB for over a year now... and this issue started a couple of weeks back

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

Does that mean the problem occurs when you access the ext HDD?

Do the ext HDDs connect via USB; or 1394, aka firewire; or external SATA, aka esata?

Please elaborate.

edit
    When did the computer last work well? When did the problem begin? Sometimes the exact date is important.
    What changed; a hardware or software installation or removal; an update to W7 [ check your W7 update history ] or update to your anti malware or other antimalware program / programs ]; an update to Java or an Adobe program for example?

Which diags have you run?

I recommend the diags from the manufactures of the ext HDDs. This may be different than the ext HDD manufacturer. Company X may have purchased a HDD made by Company XZ, put a fancy case made by Company WZ & sold it to you.

HDWE Diags

HDDs
    http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

RAM
    http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
    Download the .iso for the bootable CD
    Run memtest86 for at least 8 hours, or until an error appears

CPU
    OCCT at www.ocbase.com

Other CPU & GPU diags mentioned at http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html#hddiag

Quote:

Video 1 (Furmark)
    Prime95
    Video 2 (4 tests)
    CPU Stress tests

Thank you.

RF123

11. letmedanz

letmedanz Thread Starter

Ok let me re-iterate as i think there's some misunderstanding here..
    I have had the above said config for close to 5 years am guessing..
    Only difference is that, instead of the single module of 2 GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM, i had two modules of 1GB 667 Mhz DDR2 ram.

Everything was going well when a couple of months back i installed lightroom & photoshop.
    after this install, maybe a month or so later i realized the system was slowing down & even if i were to close all open programs, even from the task manager the system would still run very slowly and only a restart would fix it.
    After this (Say a week or 2 later) i started getting BSOD's & random restarts/shutdowns.
    Naturally i assumed it was the issue with the RAM so i got the new single 2GB DDR2 800 MHZ module & replaced the old ones.
    But this did not quite help as the BSOD/restart/Switch off issue persisted.
    Then i assumed the problem could be with Windows so i reinstalled windows only.
    I did not (and have not) installed anything whatsoever apart from what comes with windows.
    So this is the issue.

The hard disks problems are totally related to windows rebooting & loosing their file structure (from NTFS to unrecognizable) is only due to windows turning off abruptly.

i somehow feel the issue could be with the video card as there would be some driver errors popping up.. i did update the drivers too... this was before i reinstalled windows..
    now i havent installed any drivers apart from what gets automatically loaded with win7 installation...

have you been able to take a look at the dump files?

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

L M Dz:
    2 GB of ram is not a lot for W7, 32 bit, SP1; it meets the minimum requirement, which is similar to saying that if you were required to travel from Montreal to Calgary, using a wheeled vehicle, a unicycle would suffice.

Check the recommended requirements for Photoshop & Lightroom for ram & also GPU [ graphics card ] & graphics ram.

Please provide the error messages & the circumstances [ what were you doing when the msgs appeared; which programs were opened or running in the background? ]

As a test,
    create a system restore point
    open the system config utility
    On the services tab, disable everything related to photo shop & light room
    On the startup tab, do the same
    OK
    reboot
    acknowledge that the comptuer is running in selective startup
    use the computer as you normally would with the exception of using photoshop & lightroom

What are the brand, model & model # of your computer?

3 mb ram is not very much video ram.
    Other suggestions:
    Run Memtest86 to test your ram

Run OCCT to test your CPU. OCCT can also test GPUs, but it is unclear to me as to whether or not your computer has a GPU

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/tech-specs.html
    I don't see a mention of video / graphics requirements at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5488
    I suggest that you do additional research on your product. I have never used Photoshop nor Lightroom.

Regarding the mini dumps, please see #6 of this thread.

RF123

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

Dear LetMeDanz:

I will have intermittent internet access, beginning late 04 Mar 2013. My plan is to return during late March or early April.

Keep us posted.

Your patience is appreciated.

Thank you.

RF123

14. dai

dai

power supply

make
    model
    wattage

is the external h/d formated fat32 or ntfs

for moving a drive between windows and a mac the file system from what i found needs to be fat32

15. letmedanz

letmedanz Thread Starter

Attached is the Dumps.zip file if anyone can take a look.

I have a feeling it is due to a faulty USB driver, cos after the BSOD i get an error showing something about a USB driver.
    Even in device manager, there is an exclamation mark on Other Device>UIM device installation.
    Any idea what that is? Or where i can get that driver from?

Also every time i try copying files from my internal to my external, the computer crashes with a BSOD and the above messages.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice