1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Desperate! Multimedia Driver PLUS Display Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Diane100, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane100

Diane100 Thread Starter

I'll be totally upfront here in admitting I am a computer challenged person!

Short story, my computer was totally changed upon getting SYSTEM ANTIVIRUS 2008 bug. It's definitely gone now, but has really screwed up my computer. This was a couple of weeks ago. These are my problems:

1) When I click on Internet Explorer I get the UNABLE TO DISPLAY PAGE. I can however get on the internet in the address bar for any webpage, so Internet connection isn't a problem, but no browser comes up. (I have www.msn.com set as default page)

2) My fonts and display are weird on webpages - HUGE , magnified Printing, despite making all adjustments in Display as well as Fonts in Control Panel. And Icons and toolbars are supertiny. Again, several "know-it-alls" have attempted to correct it and the corrections are always temporary through the Control Panel. Same problems arise with the VIEW Tab - always temporary. The display driver was shot and someone installed another driver matched for this machine, but it's not helping - probably the wrong one. When I google the right driver from VIA, I don't know how to find a safe site with the Download or how to get it.

DISPLAY NOW IS: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR (Display Adapter that seems to be the wrong one recently installed), but I really need a display driver for VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266-8233. I am confused as to which site to download it from that's not risky, if it's a freebie? I just don't know what to do.

3) My Outlook Express e-mail is working through my itouch and at home, but just beeps on my work computer- it won't log in on here with the same name and password I have used forever. I called my local internet provider and they told me it's an internal problem. This happened since the MULTIMEDIA Device was wiped out.

MY COMPUTER PROFILE?

O/S: Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195)
    2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

16 kilobyte promary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

System Model VIA Technologies, Inc. P4M266-8233 Desktop
    Main Circuit Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO, Ltd. P4M266-8233
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD. 6.00 PG 09/16/2004

Network Drives: None detected
    Multimedia: None detected
    Local Drive Volumes: c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 82.30 GB 71.52 GB free

The Profile notes that all security Hotfixes have been installed.
    I have other information (Drive Capacity, Memory Modules, etc.) - not sure if they are relevant to anyone helping me out.

Does it sound as thought I'm beyond help? I'm on a tight budget and would rather tackle this is it's do-able before I call a technician!

Any help is sincerely appreciated and I look forward to any suggestions whatsoever...

Diane

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!